gbrasch

Well Known Member
I am using a stock Van's fuel selector. When I tighten down one of the AN 822 elbows, in the snug position it is 180 degrees opposite of where it should face (it faces up instead of down). I have not forced the part, I am using a lube, and I have tried switching the connector positions to no avail. On Friday, Van's told me, after hearing that I had tried switching parts, and that I had it properly lubed, to "work" the part in and out and that should fix it, however it has not. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Glenn in Arizona -9A fuselage #90623.

NPT fittings

I think Van's is right - you should be able to get another half turn out of it. If you do it, and it strips, I'll send you my spare.

I've seen several posters with this same problem and anticipate running into it myself real soon. I think one solution might be to get the appropriate tap and run it into the hole to enlarge things just a wee bit. Remember this is a tapered thread so the tap will be tapered also. I would think that the tap might be too long/hole too shallow to accomplish this, but if that's the case I'll just shorten the tap. This is just an idea and I haven't done it yet.

rv8ch said:
I think Van's is right - you should be able to get another half turn out of it. If you do it, and it strips, I'll send you my spare.

Glenn... if you keep taking the fitting out, clean up all of the Fuel Lube off it and it's mating part.... then re-lube it and keep trying.

Each attempt seems to take some material off, and when you clean it and try again you should get more turns for the same torque. Two or three times and it should move the 180 degrees you need...

gil in Tucson.... your TC... :)

PS I think I've got a spare too.... I'm going with an Andair valve...

az_gila said:
Glenn... if you keep taking the fitting out, clean up all of the Fuel Lube off it and it's mating part.... then re-lube it and keep trying.

Each attempt seems to take some material off, and when you clean it and try again you should get more turns for the same torque. Two or three times and it should move the 180 degrees you need...

gil in Tucson.... your TC... :)

PS I think I've got a spare too.... I'm going with an Andair valve...

Thanks Gil et al, you were right, taking it on and off a few times worked, should have called my trusty tech counselor first! Glenn