XOverZero

Well Known Member
Doctrine: If it doesn?t fit you?re doing something wrong.

OK, no argument there but I?m not having any success figuring what I?m doing wrong. In this case, the issue is not that the parts don?t fit ? they do ? it?s that I cannot access some of the rivet locations with the puller. The question here is going to be, has anyone else had the same experience, and what was the solution?

I?m at the point of assembling the baggage floor structure. The floor pans are riveted to the center section aft bulkhead and now I come to Step 4, which says to rivet the baggage ribs first to the bulkhead, then to the floor pans. It explicitly instructs that the rivet heads in this operation must be against the bulkhead. That means they have to be inserted and pulled from the limited space between the two center section bulkheads. There are six rivets attaching each rib to the bulkhead. It was tricky but doable, all except the uppermost rivet in each of the four inner ribs. There was no way to get the rivet and puller into those holes way back in the corner of the rib/bulkhead/floor pan juncture. I have one of those close quarters pullers, and also tried another, borrowed tool that was the more conventional design. No chance either way.

IMG_0764.jpg

The really odd thing was that Van?s support seemed not to be familiar with the issue, as if it had never been brought up before. After some further discussion, I was advised I could buck some solid rivets in those four locations in the opposite direction from the pulled rivets?which is what I did.

IMG_0763.jpg

Back to the question: Anybody else have the same problem? What did you do about it? The only reason I ask, other than to satisfy my own curiosity, is to do a pay-it-forward for builders coming after.

Yep

I just did this step. I used a puller with a swivel head. I also found that if you compress the puller then insert the mandrel, release the puller and push the puller firmly against the rivet. Bingo, that worked for me,

I thought factory head and shop head were equivalent from a structural stand point. I don't remember having a problem with this step, but if I did I wouldn't have thought twice about pulling from the other side. Am I missing something?

Actually, putting it on the rib flange side looks more correct to me as you are supposed to put the manufactured head on the side of the thinner sheet metal which is obviously the rib flange in this case. But then, that's maybe why Van's pointed it out where they'd like the head to go?
In any case I cannot remember having any trouble pulling these rivets and I used the CQ riveter too.

Ditto the swivel head rivet puller. I just recently did that step and used a Stanley swivel head rivet puller. Found even using a swivel head puller, it was necessary to bend the rivet mandrels and use the AEX wedge to get onto the rivet square.

Happy building,

Order this from Avery Tools. You will be glad later in the build also.
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5012

Also helps to persuade stubborn pull rivets home

Thanks Larry, I have that tool?have had since Day One. Neither my fingers nor my disposition would have made it this far without it. I recommend it most highly, and have vigorously instructed other new builders not to even open the crates without one. It's that good.

BTW, I did get past the problem. Per Joe at Van's, I shot solid rivets into those four locations. The reasoning behind having the rivet heads inside the channel space is to avoid any interference problems when installing the main gear legs. The locations I had difficulty with are farther inboard and would not be an issue.