rvdave

Well Known Member
After 7 years of flying with erratic fuel flow display, I decided I would change my originally placed transducer to a better location instead of before mechanical pump to after same pump. I now have stable indication for fuel flow but now it is reading much higher at cruise rpm and at idle. For example at idle of 600 rpm I'm reading about 5.5 gph. No way, I should be reading more like 1.5-2 gph.

Here's what I did differently, put transducer on top of engine just before fi spider with a 3" fuel line, inlet side has a 45 deg elbow to connect fuel line from baffling . I'm just wondering if the elbow could be causing some kind of turbulence or some odd reaction. My previous location had straight fittings with longer in and out straight fuel lines. Any ideas?

Dave Ford
Cadillac , mi
rv6 flying rv10 building

Since your FF is steady I would just re-calibrate the unit. As I understand it, the calibration is specific to the installation as well as the transducer itself. You should have gotten recalibration instructions with your instrumentation.

I've never had to calibrate this, it is a three lead input to an AIM-1 engine monitor, the parameters are built in to the monitor I believe, I could be wrong though, will check into that.
Also, first thing I thought of was a fuel leak after the transducer but that was a negative.

Dave

Has anyone had to recalibrate their fuel flow sensor after moving it to the fuel flow divider fuel line? Mine read approximately correct in the tunnel, but now that I moved it, it reads 1.2gph at idle and ~5gph at 2100 rpm.
I wanted to ask before I recalibrate it......

A low reading, from my experience, usually means it is not oriented correctly. If it is an EI cube, they have instructions that say one of 3 sides must be up. If you have that wrong, it will read wrong. Look up the EI instructions for their Fuel Flow instrument online and it will tell the orientation options.

FF

Always recalibrate the "K" factor after new install or re-plumb. FF transducer should never be at a high point in the fuel system, air bubbles could be trapped causing the high reading.