Jetmart

Well Known Member
Has anyone used JB Weld or some type of Gorilla glue instead of pro seal for attaching the foam ribs in the trim tab and elevator?

I used JB Weld on another project and it was very nice to work with versus pro seal.

3M VHB tape

I used the VHB double sided tape that Van's sell, and they also mention (somewhere) that this product is a substitute for pro-seal in the applications you talk about.

I used the VHB double sided tape that Van's sell, and they also mention (somewhere) that this product is a substitute for pro-seal in the applications you talk about.

Thanks I have some for the trailing edge but did not realize it is a substitute for the foam ribs.

I am pretty sure the VHB tape has never been approved for installing the foam
ribs.
I would strongly recommend against it.
I wouldn't recommend using silicone adheasive either.

Pro Seal is a brand name of Mil Spec Polysulfide. Any product that meets the same Mil Spec would be good.

I would not recommend any substitute that does not meet the same Mil Spec especially in any moving aircraft surface.

I keep a quart kit in the freezer and thaw it out for use. Mix it on cheap throwaway dollar store cutting board plastic with a bondo squeegee. I?ll have new stuff for tanks but for everything else this works great.

I have been using hotel type card keys for years to spread epoxy, bondo, and pro seal. They work great.

I think you're right

I am pretty sure the VHB tape has never been approved for installing the foam
ribs.
I would strongly recommend against it.
I wouldn't recommend using silicone adheasive either.

Looking back through the plans & store info on the VHB tape it isn't mentioned specifically for the trim tab ribs, just as a substitute for pro-seal on the rudder or elevator trailing edges. I must've just assumed at the time it would be OK. As it is I was going to do another trim tab (mainly because I wasn't 100% happy with the trailing edge), and as I'm in the middle of building tanks I've got pro-seal everywhere so a little more won't hurt.

The only problem with hotel keys is that the pile I have just reminds me of all the layovers ... !