woxofswa

Well Known Member
Rummaging through my composite materials bin, I found an unopened cartridge of Flamemaster Pro-seal. Unfortunately, it says on the package that its expiration date is 01/09.

Obviously I'm not going to use it for something like a firewall sealant, but rather than just throwing it away, I was thinking about using it to adhere my overhead console to the cabin top of my RV10 project.

Anyone know if the expiration date applies to the fire resistance properties ( which I don't care about on the console) or adhesion properties?

Thanks in advance.

Re proseal cartridges

I had a couple of cartridges stored in the freezer but about 6 months out of date. The contents had become so stiff they couldn't be mixed.
The cans of sealant seem to remain usable for a year or more after expiry date.
With age the sealant becomes very sticky and unworkable.
I don't know exactly how the cured properties change with age but for undemanding applications such as water seals I find that if it is workable it performs OK.

A lot depends on how it is stored. I have successfully used Proseal that is over 1 yr past dated expiration. In my experience, it takes longer time to cure with age. The longest batch requiring 4-5 days IIRC.

Best thing to do would be to mix a test batch and see how it performs.