jsenft

Well Known Member
I am about to start working on my fuel tank. I have the doubler plate as described in SB 13-12-19. I thought I read some place that you are to remove all pro seal from the back side of the rivets inside the tank. Am I correct?

I think there is something published about removing "hanging chad" on the rivets. Probably so they don't come loose in the tank. On my "Mark IV" tank recently built I went to the extra trouble to cover the rivets with a dollop of sealant :D. You can't be too anal when it comes to the tank.

Mark IV, Tony! Are you going into commercial production, busy inventing a better tank, or just like upgrading the old one? :D

The Mark IV is the latest tank now furnished with the kits: De-windowed, Moellered, Vented.
The Mark I was the original tank with the bad window material, the Mark II would be the upgrade to the improved window. The Mark III came with the mechanical gauge and windowless. The Mark IV has the new vent and the anti-rotation bracket on the fuel return fitting.

Please pardon the Mark nomenclature, just seemed appropriate to me :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
A "dollop" sounds about right

Tony, it was a pleasure to meet you at the RV-12 expo!

Ditto's on the hanging chad. If one spins a rivet in pro seal and then inserts thru a hole, you end up with a spot of goo on the very tip of the rivet without much contact area for adhesion, waiting to float off into the fuel.

A "dollop" will adhere the "chad" all around the rivet and onto the inside tank surface around it. Much tougher to come loose that way.

The Synergy gang at the Expo also mentioned applying a dollop with a popsicle stick. Makes me feel much better about my firewall. It looks like I've put a "Hershey's Kiss" on top of each rivet.

Here's what I did to seal the rivets inside the tank. I dipped the end of a small piece of fuel line into the goo, then slid it over the top of each rivet and gave it a spin. Guaranteed a uniform layer of goo around each rivet even if I couldn't see it well. In fact, some of 'em I did by "feel".

No guarantees. Always looking for more ideas to make the "Mark V" tank even better!

Clear Skies,

Dave