skidmk

Well Known Member
HI,, bent the sender and now doing the install...do I need to proseal where the gaskets are? (one for send, other for access panel)

also,, had to install 2 rivets where anti-torque fitting was,, proseal them?

thanks

Mike

Sealing Access Panel and Fuel Sender

1) absolutely proseal the rivets for the anti-torque angle.

2) I recommend using TiteSeal instead of Proseal on the cork gaskets on the access panel. TiteSeal doesn't 'cure' so if you ever have to re-open the access panel it will be much easier - especially once the wings are installed.
If you are going to use the neoprene (or whatever) gaskets on the fuel sender, they probably won't benefit from the Titeseal because it will all be squeezed out anyway, but it probably wouldn't hurt to use some, at least on the screws.

If you decide to go with no gaskets, then I'd recommend ProSeal. It definitely works, it's just more hassle if you ever have to remove it later.

For reference, I initially ProSealed both the access panel and fuel sender without gaskets (no leaks). When the safety wire Service Bulletin came out, I removed the access panels (wings not on the A/C), but left the fuel sender alone. Prying the panels off was less hassle than I anticipated, but if the wings were installed, it would have been MUCH more difficult. When I reinstalled the access panels, I used cork gaskets and TiteSeal and resealed with no leaks. I hope I never have to replace the sending units :rolleyes:
My son (RV7A) use the fuel sender gaskets with nothing on them and has no leaks (his first flight was 17 Sept).

One more datapoint....I originally put my fuel senders on with the rubber gasket and nothing else. One night with fuel in the tanks and I had a leak. The fuel was migrating out the screw holes. I removed the gaskets and prosealed everything together, including the screws, and no leaks since. I did use the proseal that is supposed to be "more removable" however....

Paul