Clayton

Being new to the forum I have been overwhelmed with all of the great information, knowledge, and inspiration for building my own RV. In fact, I have spent way to much time surfing the VAF forum. I was introduced to the forum after having had the pleasure of a intro ride with Randy Richmond at Northwest Regional (52F). I have come to conclude that ride will be the most costly 15 minutes I will have spent as a passenger in my short history in aviation. I certainly understand what the RV :D is all about.

I received my Private Pilot certificate in December 2010 and have logged just over 250 total hours. About 100 hours cross country since then in a Cessna 210.

As much as I want to focus my energy and resources on building an RV-8, I really know that I need to place an instrument rating ahead in terms of priority. I would imagine that most on this forum would agree.

The reason for my post is to solicit advise on what are the best resources for the FAA written exam. I have a really great instructor when it comes to time in the plane. What I am looking for is advise from those who might have experience with some of the online ground schools that are offered. I like the computerized study approach, as it seems to work best for me.

Your insight and advise will be most appreciated.

All the Best,

Clayton

Welcome!

Welcome, Clayton! I know what you mean about expensive "free" RV rides, but it's worth it in the end.

I'm not at all sure about your assumption that everyone here would put getting an IFR ticket above starting a build, but that doesn't matter. Just like you should eventually build the plane you want, not the one someone else wants you to build, your choices about how to spend your resources should be your own. Either order has plenty of merit.

The only real choice is how much to spend on aviation in toto, to which the only acceptable answer is: all of it. :)

Oh, and for me, the Gleim materials have been great.

--
Stephen

Clayton-

I had a situation slightly different then you this past year. I finished my private pilot in 2010 and then started building my RV-7 tail feathers in Spring of 2011. By the time Summer came I realized that I really missed flying and decided to put more effort towards my instrument rating. After passing my checkride in October I can say that the instrument rating has improved my flying dramatically! Not because I can now fly in crappy weather but it teaches you how to fly the machine precisely. I am really glad that I made that decision and now I can finish up my elevators during the cold winter nights :) Not to mention, I now appreciate some of the nice gizmos/avionics that are out there on the market and plan on making my RV-7 IFR capable!

Similar decision

I had to make a similar decision and chose to build. I got my PPL in 2009 and After less than 100 hours I realized renting wouldn't do. I would have to own an airplane to do what I want to do. For practical reasons I decided to start building before getting an IFR rating.

Mostly, I can't afford to fly much while building (as it turns out, both flying and building cost, nay, consume money), so if I did the IFR first, I'd grow pretty rusty on those skills before ever really using them. My plan is to get my IFR rating during the last year or 6 months of my build. It will force me to get my skills back up, prepare me for transition training in my 10, and it'll help reduce the insurance premiums. I felt with my more limited financial resources and the time involved in the build, this would be the safest route for me. Though I have to say that not flying very much (hardly at all) is pretty tough - especially on those beautifull VFR days.

Anyway, that's been my reasoning. If you think out what's best in your particular situation, I'm sure you'll make the right decision ... and start building immediately. (Just kidding on that last part.)

Clayton-

I had a situation slightly different then you this past year. I finished my private pilot in 2010 and then started building my RV-7 tail feathers in Spring of 2011. By the time Summer came I realized that I really missed flying and decided to put more effort towards my instrument rating. After passing my checkride in October I can say that the instrument rating has improved my flying dramatically! Not because I can now fly in crappy weather but it teaches you how to fly the machine precisely. I am really glad that I made that decision and now I can finish up my elevators during the cold winter nights :) Not to mention, I now appreciate some of the nice gizmos/avionics that are out there on the market and plan on making my RV-7 IFR capable!

Andrew,

Glad to hear that you knocked out the Instrument training. Can you tell me if you took the independent study approach, and if you did what study material you used for the ground school portion?

Flying Miss Daisy

Though I have to say that not flying very much (hardly at all) is pretty tough - especially on those beautifull VFR days.

Joe,

Wish you lived closer, always looking for someone to go flying with.

As for the instrument ticket, I will be spending a lot of time cross country, including over the Rocky Mountains, with family, and just not comfortable delaying. And besides, my wife insists that I fly more so I can get my instrument rating.

I jokingly tell here that it is my job to fly Miss Daisy. Whatever it takes to make her happy! I just can't wait to see how happy she will be in an RV!

All the Best,

Clayton

Joe,

As for the instrument ticket, I will be spending a lot of time cross country, including over the Rocky Mountains, with family, and just not comfortable delaying.

I've spent a lot of time over the Rockies, but prefer not to fly designated flight paths. I go where the scenery is. Use SPOT satellite tracker.......for others to know my location.
I let the multi & IFR rating go........as I got into the RV build. Had been working on both, at the same time. Was the mid 90's. Wouldn't mind finishing the IFR rating before I'm 70 or so...

L.Adamson

Joe,
... As for the instrument ticket, I will be spending a lot of time cross country, including over the Rocky Mountains, with family, and just not comfortable delaying.
Clayton

That sure sounds like the right decision for your situation. Sounds fun, too.

I hope to be looking for IFR study materials in a couple of years myself. Can't wait. ... For now, I'll have to be content just learning to work with proseal for my tanks (which I'll be starting soon). ... Alas, I'll dream of IFR training each time I accidentily smear proseal all over my glasses.

IFR

It took two long cross country flights in my Comanche 250 to figure out that high performance without a IFR ticket doesn't work forever. A 210 is pretty high performance and getting into trouble with your family on board is no fun. The best thing I ever did was set aside a weekend and take one of the many weekend accelerated courses around the country that end with taking the test. The rest of the ticket was a piece of cake.
Don

I passed my IFR Checkride

with about 250 hours in the book (1994) using John and Martha (Sportys) for the study materials. Passed the written in the high 90's IIRC with no classroom training. Self study and practice tests worked great for me.

I started building in '05 and was pretty competent with IFR in our Mooney at that time. By the time I finished the RV 7A in '09, I was very rusty and had (still have) lots to learn about the new EFIS based avionics. Not IFR current yet.

My suggestion is to hold off on your IFR ticket until you can do it in your own RV. You will be MUCH more comfortable flying in the soup in the plane you trained in.

Of course, YMMV. Best.

It took two long cross country flights in my Comanche 250 to figure out that high performance without a IFR ticket doesn't work forever. A 210 is pretty high performance and getting into trouble with your family on board is no fun. The best thing I ever did was set aside a weekend and take one of the many weekend accelerated courses around the country that end with taking the test. The rest of the ticket was a piece of cake.
Don

Don,

I am in the Dallas area and see that there are some weekend courses. I'll have a look.

My instructor is willing, and prefers to train in actual IMC once I have the basics and book work. I like this idea, as I wouldn't want to be flying solo (or worse yet with family) when the first opportunity to apply the skills presents itself.

All the Best,

Clayton

As for the instrument ticket, I will be spending a lot of time cross country, including over the Rocky Mountains, with family, and just not comfortable delaying. And besides, my wife insists that I fly more so I can get my instrument rating.

An instrument rating is a great goal. It will let you complete many flights you would not have made otherwise. However, living next the the Rockies, I'd say that most of the pilots around here, myself included, don't think much of single engine IMC over the mountains. IMC between here and Texas? Sure. IMC west of Denver? No thanks.

I chose to build then fly. I don't ever plan on getting my instrument ticket punched. I like to fly on nice days, even more so on cross country. It's a beautiful world out there, might as well enjoy it. Plus I figure I can keep the $5K in my pocket and use it for motels on less than nice days.

I agree with thread lead

The instrument rating was essential for me. I flew out of Orange County/John Wayne airport and many days the stratus layer comes in off of the ocean and grounds those without an instrument rating. It only took a couple of flights delayed for hours when the instrument rated pilots in our fly-in group were gone at the crack of dawn for my wife to suggest rather strongly that I get one.

I took one of the weekend ground courses at a motel in Long Beach taught by traveling instructors working for a national company. The test was taken at the end and it was over in two days as I recall. The interaction with the instructor and fellow students was a good thing I believe. My experience was very positive. A few years earlier I took the private pilot ground school at the Saddlback Community College in Mission Viejo, California and that worked out fine too but I think I had to go to a FAA facility in Long Beach to take the written test - it was a very long time ago so I may have that wrong.

I totally disagree with the idea of trying to get you flight instruction in an RV (well not an RV-6A at least) as they are MUCH more difficult to fly under instrument flight rules (even in VMC) than a slower stable production platform. An autopilot is essential in a RV being flown IFR I believe. I flew ours for a year or so IFR without one and it was a bear!

The bad part of getting the Instrument Rating then emersing yourself in building is the demands of building will make you rusty and there is some danger of having to do it all over again to get current or worse.

Bob Axsom

The instrument rating was essential for me. I flew out of Orange County/John Wayne airport and many days the stratus layer comes in off of the ocean and grounds those without an instrument rating. It only took a couple of flights delayed for hours when the instrument rated pilots in our fly-in group were gone at the crack of dawn for my wife to suggest rather strongly that I get one.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

I am in your camp on the IFR. Having flown some in the coastal areas, and having experienced other interruptions, I have already experienced enough delays to make flying impractical without the instrument rating. It isn't my intention to fly into the eye of the storm, but to be prepared if I need to get down or if it is just a matter of clearing a low ceiling on an otherwise acceptable flying day.

I will be doing my training in the C210. Certainly plan to get more time in both actual IFR/IMC with the C210, and in VFR with the RV, before heading out IFR in an RV.

Will be looking at one of the weekend courses for the ground work.

All the Best,

Clayton