Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Should rivets be primed before painting? My assumption is only if desired or if sanded which removes the treatment which I assume is alodine.

Reason for asking - lots of parts get primed and then assembled leaving bare rivets that may get painted later.

For example, here is my access door for the anionics bay. These will get a quick shot but is it necessary?

Attachments

• 981200EC-2DE9-48F9-85DA-35D9FEDF40EA.jpg
    981200EC-2DE9-48F9-85DA-35D9FEDF40EA.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 140
I never did not for any situation, scuffed or otherwise. Make sure the rivet heads are perfectly clean and it should be fine.

On the work plane there are hatches for systems access in the nose. Open up the electrical one on the top and everything is beautifully painted, including the rivets. Open up the bottom hatches and bare primer, bare rivets (beautifully set shop heads). There is no primer on the rivets. My point is they seemed to follow this process on transport category turboprops. Prime, rivet, paint.

I believe the rivets are anodized, not Alodine.
Chem film for standard (no alpha suffix) rivets. (Mil-C-5541 class 1A) aka "Alodine"

For finish painting (exterior for sure) you'll definitely want to scuff and prime the rivet heads, else you'll eventually have small circular areas of no paint start appearing. "pop!" Been there...

Not All of Them

Fifth line down in product specs: Gold Anodized

Certified Rivets sold by ATS

HFS

Last edited:
well, I also know plenty of sites selling "DB-9" connectors....

Attachments

• ms20426.jpg
    ms20426.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 110