Are you priming your RV-12 alclad parts?

• No, waste of good flying time!

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Only mating surfaces and/or rivets.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Everything! I love my HVLP gun and rattlecans!

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Thought it would be interesting to see to what extent builders have/will be priming their RV-12. The non-alclad parts don't count, as they need to be primed anyway.
rgmwa

Peace Treaty Broken!

Oh, NO!!! A revival of the Primer Wars! There was an unofficial truce signed a few years back. Maybe you can keep it to just the RV-12 builders.

No wars intended..

Oh, NO!!! A revival of the Primer Wars! There was an unofficial truce signed a few years back. Maybe you can keep it to just the RV-12 builders.

... and this is just aimed at the RV-12 builders. Just curious to know what people actually did, or are doing. Not looking for any justification one way or the other.
rgmwa

I think I will prime with a tintable epoxy primer like Zenith CPS 999VP.
Inside only
NO rattlecans

Joe Dallas
www.joesrv12.com

PS I think this is the only decisions we are allowed to make

Last edited:
Interesting ..

If the results so far hold true for all the 400 or so kit builders out there, it looks like about half are not priming the interior surfaces (cockpit excepted, I assume), about a quarter are fully priming, and the remainder are part-priming.

As my kit is currently in a shipping container somewhere between here and the US, I still have some head-scratching time left. Think I may go with the part-prime group as a reasonable compromise between effort and reward, although even without priming, my plane is probably going to outlast me.

rgmwa

prime it

Prime the interior. And use rattle cans. SEM primer is excellent quality, easy to use and make touch ups, fast drying, minimum overspray, not too toxic. Don't get tricked into encapsulating the whole airplane in two part epoxy primer. I see above the advocates have already been on this thread laying the ground work to start the war again. You'll hear about the 50 year life span, and the deep ocean test. But airplanes will last just as long with spray can primer. PS, this does NOT apply to the outside.

Question for those who are NOT priming

For those who are not priming the interior allclad parts, what ARE you doing to protect those parts as you work and to remove dirt and fingerprints before you button up the assemblies? It's inevitable that fingerprints and sweat will get on parts as you work on them, and it's my understanding that the oils and acids from those fluids can promote corrosion. I'm curious to know what people who aren't priming are doing to keep those surfaces as clean as possible . What are the best practices? What are the best products for removing fingerprints and sweat from unprimed parts? I've been wiping down with rubbing alcohol. Is there a better technique? Thanks for your thoughts.

Cleaning aluminum

VM&P Naptha is very good cleaner without going to nasty stuff. It's used to degrease before spraying S**** paints. Look at Bo-Shield at Grizzly.com. It is developed by Boing and I ASSUME for interior metal with limited access. I have not researched this concept.