agirard7a

Well Known Member
In the process of building my engine baffle.
Is it ok to prime and paint and if so do I need
a high temp engine paint? Thanks.

In the process of building my engine baffle.
Is it ok to prime and paint and if so do I need
a high temp engine paint? Thanks.

I just did mine with white hi-temp primer and paint. As far as it being a requirement, I can't say. My thought was that it was a good idea, since portions of the baffles are in direct contact with the engine. The other option would be to powder coat, but I went with the lower cost option.

I don't know if all hi-temp paints are the same, but the stuff I used was the most aromatic of all the paints I used, including the akzo epoxy primer. It was really nasty. Since I didn't want to spend the rest of the day wearing a mask, I just left the hangar early those days I painted.

Last edited:
Rattle can ceramic paint

Why take the chance? I used the Dupli-Color (Pep Boys) Engine Enamel with Ceramic.
Alodine then painted. Will run/drip faster than most Rattle paints I used but almost impossible to remove after a few weeks cure.

I did not paint mine for the simple reason that they are easy to replace, if needed and this is not a car, so I do not plan on removing my top cowl at fly-in's.

Also, if there is an engine fire, the less paint up there burning, the better. IMHO.

I painted the baffles in my Pitts with Imron; 25 years later still looked good. I had the baffles in my -10 alodined at a cost of $50 for everything; only 3 tears old, but also looks good.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I powder coat my engine baffles. Looks great and tough as nails. Cost was about what it would cost to paint with good materials. Don

I used Rustolium engine spray paint from Wal-Mart or Home Depot. I painted them several years ago. After more than 50 flight hours, no problems noted at all.

I would suggest you think carefully before painting your baffles. Unless you live close to the sea it is probably not worthwhile. It will make everything look smart initially, but the baffles take a beating and (in my experience) will soon have scuffs, etc. Anyway - who will see the baffles? If you are in no hurry to finish and go fly then why not, but ...

Peter