N804RV

Well Known Member
I know Van's states that all quick build kit interior surface are primed prior to assembly. Anyone know what method they use?

I got my hands on some quick build wings and components from an abandoned RV-8 build. I'm in the process of going through everything now. So far, other than rust on some of steel bolts and screws, everything looks really good. This is the older kit with the W-415 wing tips.

But, the interior surfaces look like its been treated with some sort of conversion process, then left bare. It looks translucent dull grey, and not like zinc chromate or epoxy polymide primer that I'm used to seeing.

Last edited:
It is in fact available in the US; I purchased some locally at an industrial coatings outlet. It is Sherwin Williams P60G2 wash primer, and although is not promoted as a corrosion prevention, Van's testing showed it works reasonably well in that role.

See this post for more info.

P60G

I read the only difference between the product used on QB kits and the SW P60G sold in the HS was pigment color. I think I read it on the internet here on VAF so it must be true!:D

Thanks!

I confirmed with Van's that this kit was delivered in 2002. All the aluminum surfaces look brand new, once the dust was removed. The steel bolts however, have rusted. I would've thought the cadmium plating would have held up better. Make me wonder if they were aircraft grade.

All the steel fasteners will have to be removed and the nut plates will have to be cleaned thoroughly. I think I'll try and use some grade-4 CPC on all the interior steel fasteners before I close up the wings.