No right answer, but LOTS of opinions. A search on the topic will keep you reading all month. All I will say is I live in a salt air environment, and am priming everything.

I did a brief survey of RV-12 builders on VAF about 2-3 years ago. I don't know how representative the sample was but about 50% did no interior priming, 25% primed surfaces that were in contact (skin laps etc), and the other 25% primed everything. Take your pick. I live fairly close to the coast and initially decided to just do the laps, but later ended up priming everything. This was mainly on the advice of other local builders, but keep in mind that a lot of priming adds a LOT of time to the build.

As others have said, there's no right answer. Do you plan to paint your interior a color? If so, I would recommend priming the panels to ensure good paint adhesion. The interior takes a beating. If it is important to you to keep it nice looking, then I would scuff, clean, and prime everything.

paint09.jpg

paint12.jpg

paint17.jpg

I admit that on some of my previous builds, I took the shortcut way to paint the interior with rattle cans and I was never very happy with the results. On the -12, I took the time to do it this way and I am much happier with the durability.

So it's a matter of what's important to you. Do what works for you.

Primed everything, painted with Walmart rattle can textured paint. Has stood up well for three years so far. Covered up a lot of it when I installed the interior kit though.

It was easy to prime and paint the interior while building. Did the nose and main sections separately before they were joined. And BEFORE the side skins were put on. Then painted the inside of the side skins before riveting them on. Rattle can, looks great, holds up just fine.

NOT a lot of trouble to do, scuff with scotchbrite pad, wipe off with acetone, spray the self etching primer. Then the paint per directions.

Last edited:
You will add weight. You will add a SIGNIFICANT amount of time. You will expose yourself to chemicals that perhaps you shouldn't. You will get sick of having to prime everything. If you go for cheap it may be "raining" primer inside your airplane in a couple of years. Aluminum requires special prep to get anything to stick to it.

My painter convinced me (it was my decision) that the best airplanes are painted inside. I wanted to build the best airplane I could. I'd be a quite a bit farther along if I hadn't primed. It looks good - but for all the reasons above it's a real PIA.