How did you primer the inside of your wing skins?

• No priming of interior wing skin surface

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Primed entire interior wing skin surface

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • Primed only rivet lines inside wing skin

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Other: Explain

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I know that this should likely be put it the primer section, but I needed the increased visibility of the general forum, as I am to the point to decide... :)

I have never created a poll before, but trying to on this one.

I am trying to make the options as follows:

1. No priming at all on interior wing skin surface
2. Primered the entire interior wing skin surface
3. Primered rivet lines only inside skin
4. Other: explain

Many thanks,

Gregg

Good poll, thanks Gregg.

I'm almost to that stage- was planning on just priming the rivet lines and spar flanges. I'm in a dry climate and just priming with one-step self-etching primer so far.

I didn't select anything on the poll since I haven't done that step yet...

Db

just finished annual on cherokee 180. dropped tanks (1968 -44 yr old plane) inside wing alum still perfect, shines and no corrosion. flex fuel lines- :eek: All alum still very good--decided to not prime my rv-9. If around salt spray or keep plane outside, or floats--prime.

I primed all of my interior surfaces, but it was mostly because I didn't know what I didn't know - I was afraid of the dark.

After doing a LOT of research since then, I would not do it again on my next airplane (and I will almost certainly offend again). Every builder must make this decision on their own and for their own reasons.

One point of note - given the general fear of corrosion in the rest of the world, having a fully-primed airplane will probably increase your sales price.

On the tail, I just did the rivet lines, all the mating surfaces. In the wings I'm doing everything. My friend is an airframe structural tech, so he's full of horror stories and that probably influenced my decision. Also, for the effort going into doing mating surfaces, might as well just do it all.

You have to look at the flying your going to do too. Always in a hangar, fly on "severe VFR" days only, then your probably okay. Flying in rain, snow/slush covered runways, near salt-water then you are higher risk.

Very light coat

I primed the ribs and all mating surfaces thoroughly, then sprayed a light coat on the wing skins.

B98DCB75-FE17-4AAE-ADB6-A5C436C9FB3C-6724-00000855E97A6446.jpg

I primed the ribs and all mating surfaces thoroughly, then sprayed a light coat on the wing skins.

Tom, do you have a jeweler's loupe or some sort of magnifier you could use to inspect the light spray job? I find myself somewhat skeptical. I'm assuming a spray job that looks light or thin might actually just be partial coverage. If the area of the skin that has light coverage is really 40% primer, and 60% bare aluminum, is that really helpful when it comes to protecting from corrosion?

If my skepticism is unwarranted, someone please set me straight.

Almost all

;)I primed the structure and the inside skins & where any skin laps on another.

All Azco Noble green zinc chromate process. It all came out beautifully!

I bought mine partially assembled. The empennage was already together and everything is primed. The top skins for the left wing and the left leading edge were already primed over the entire inner surface. In the interest of balance and consistency, I'll prime the LE and top skins of the right wing also. But, after that I am thinking I'll probably only prime the rivet lines.

Then again... it does look nice, and wouldn't add but a couple of pounds to the weight of the plane. So put me down for "Undecided". Like you, I assume.

Full prime on mine

On the RV-7 that I partially built I did the rattle can seaf etching primer on all surfaces. When I start another plane some day I'm going to do the full etch, alodine, and epoxy primer to all surfaces. I'm going to keep my next RV for a while. Plus I have been working on non-primed certified aircraft for a while now, and have seen more corroded aircraft than not. Even the wings of my 182 (which are not primed) have some corrosion in them, and it was stored in a hangar for the last 25 years at KVNY.

Last edited:
Tom, do you have a jeweler's loupe or some sort of magnifier you could use to inspect the light spray job? I find myself somewhat skeptical. I'm assuming a spray job that looks light or thin might actually just be partial coverage. If the area of the skin that has light coverage is really 40% primer, and 60% bare aluminum, is that really helpful when it comes to protecting from corrosion?

If my skepticism is unwarranted, someone please set me straight.

I don't really know - it was the recommendation of an EAA tech counselor