KEG

Patron
The 12iS includes several parts manufactured from "FIBERGLASS-POLYESTER", "FIBERGLASS-EPOXY" and/or "E-EPOXY" per KAI sec.4. The difference in these materials is unknown to me.

My question is: What type primer to use on these parts until I can finish my project, fly it and, eventually, get the plane painted professionally? I would prefer a 'rattle can' product but I do have some spray equipment.

The 12iS includes several parts manufactured from "FIBERGLASS-POLYESTER", "FIBERGLASS-EPOXY" and/or "E-EPOXY" per KAI sec.4. The difference in these materials is unknown to me.

My question is: What type primer to use on these parts until I can finish my project, fly it and, eventually, get the plane painted professionally? I would prefer a 'rattle can' product but I do have some spray equipment.

Most, if not all fiberglass parts on the RV 12 are supplied with a gray gelcoat coating on the exterior. This doesn’t require any primer prior to flying. The only fiberglass that will require some finish work prior to flying is the fiberglass work that is done during the build of the canopy. For that, any rattle can primer listed as high billed would be acceptable. Being high build will provide a surface good for finish sanding.

Most, if not all fiberglass parts on the RV 12 are supplied with a gray gelcoat coating on the exterior. This doesn’t require any primer prior to flying. The only fiberglass that will require some finish work prior to flying is the fiberglass work that is done during the build of the canopy. For that, any rattle can primer listed as high billed would be acceptable. Being high build will provide a surface good for finish sanding.

Something like this? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/sem42013.php?clickkey=88826

I had to extend the edges of my cowl due to trimming them short, so I have exposed fiberglass in those areas. So I'd like to just do the whole cowl so it doesn't look quite so bad. :)

Don’t forget the inside of the cowl. Prime to seal it from oil and such. Any good two part epoxy primer works, and if the primer is not white then put a top coat of rattle can white on top to reflect heat.

Carl

Don’t forget the inside of the cowl. Prime to seal it from oil and such. Any good two part epoxy primer works, and if the primer is not white then put a top coat of rattle can white on top to reflect heat.

Carl

Not so much necessary on an RV-12 cowl because they are manufactured using a wet layup process with regular expoxy resin (not prepreg).