Anna

Hello Guys,

Currently I prepare the seat floors of my QB RV8 for priming. After priming I intend to paint the upper skin of my floors dull white.

Would you recommend priming the surface before painting it? I use the green colored primer from "Akzo Nobel".
Which lacquer would you recommend for the dull white painting?

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Anna

Yes, you definitely need to prime bare metal before painting a finish coat. I would check with the maker of your finish paint as to which primer might be best for maximum adhesion, though.

Wai until the plane is finished before painting or priming. Reason being that you will be in and out, dropping tools etc. and Al filings/chips will wreck your great paint job.

Wai until the plane is finished before painting or priming. Reason being that you will be in and out, dropping tools etc. and Al filings/chips will wreck your great paint job.

I can't imagine painting the interior after the plane is finished. That sounds really difficult!

To answer the original question, aluminum is difficult to adhere to. You defiantly need to use primer.

I can't imagine painting the interior after the plane is finished. That sounds really difficult!

To answer the original question, aluminum is difficult to adhere to. You defiantly need to use primer.

Is there someone who has painted the interior after the plane is finished and can tell their story?

Erik

Hello,

i?m building the RV8 together with Anna.

I would prime all interior parts, rivet them together and then paint the upper skin.

Our primer is compatible with PU, Epoxy and acrylic coats. Which coat would you recommend for the interior/floors?
Are there any further preparations needed before coating?

Best regards
CB

Prime and paint

I have built 2 planes and primed and painted the interior before riveting the parts together on both of them.
On my plane I used white for the panels and gray for the bulkheads.
To answer your question, if you prime, you should also paint soon after so you don't ruin your primed surface.