mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I finally got my top skins on and am starting aileron and flap assembly. I have been using AZKO primer on interior skeleton parts. I understand that it is a bad idea to prime parts that will later take exterior paint. Looking at the aileron hinges, I would certainly prime all the interior surfaces, those that are riveted together and those that are riveted to the wing rear spar. The question is, are other parts of the hinges visible in the assembled plane? Do they get painted or should they be primed?

I had planned to prime the interior surface of the aileron gap seal and the flap brace. Should I leave bare the exterior surfaces of these pieces or prime? Sure would be handy to have an assembled plane to look at. I am not sure what parts show and should be left for the exterior paint. I would appreciate the advice of those who have finished.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wings
San Ramon

Prime it all if it will eventually get painted.

You will need to scuff it anyways in order to recoat it.

Epoxies DO TEND to chalk up in situations when exposed to UV's, so...

If it won't be getting painted soon, take a look at a completed plane and leave those spots bare.

Paint the inside of the hinges, but not the outside... kinda thing.

;) CJ

Captain_John said:
Prime it all if it will eventually get painted.

You will need to scuff it anyways in order to recoat it.

Epoxies DO TEND to chalk up in situations when exposed to UV's, so...

If it won't be getting painted soon, take a look at a completed plane and leave those spots bare.

Paint the inside of the hinges, but not the outside... kinda thing.

;) CJ

Another way to solve this is to apply finish paint (color doesn't matter here) to those areas which will be exposed to the weather, yet won't be visible once the area in question is assembled on the plane.
I primed and finish painted the entire cockpit of my fuselage kit before the parts were assembled. I used the Vans powder coat gray (aka PPG's Pearl Gray) on my interior.
I used this same paint to apply finish paint to the back of the wing rear spars, front side of the aileron & flap gap fairings, rear baffle of the fuel tank, and the front of the main wing spar in the fuel tank area. You could also simply use a rattle can spray paint to apply a finish coat of paint in areas which won't show later.
Charlie Kuss

Charlie, I plan on doing the same with my interior!

I am looking at the Classic Aero pictures and determining what will show later and shooting it as I build.

Looks like I won't need much paint!

:D CJ

Michael, you really should make it to more EAA breakfasts, we were discussing this very issue two weeks ago. :D :D :D