AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Hi,

I understand that the concept of priming may be a debated topic among builders. Still at the early planning stages, I think I would like a primed plane (whatever that is going to end up meaning), and am trying to figure out if a quick-build kit causes me any problems in that regard.

I'd be happy to hear any discussion on the topic though. It's all educational!!:)

Thanks. Andy

primed

Quick build components come pre-primed. Not sure if that answers your question. Can't remember the process, but there may be something on Vans web site or another thread here. good luck. jack

Quick build components come pre-primed. Not sure if that answers your question. Can't remember the process, but there may be something on Vans web site or another thread here. good luck. jack

That's perfect! Thanks.

Eventually, I am going to call Van's, but I have a lot more questions for this place first!!:)

QB primer

To answer your specific question: it's not practical to prime the QB parts of the kit. You can't get primer in between the parts (say, in between rib flanges and skins) because they're already riveted together. So many of us QB builders rely on the primer that Van's provides.

This is from Van's chapter on "Materials," section 5 of the manual:

"Van?s Aircraft does not have an ?approved? primer. We use Sherwin Williams P60 G2. This is used on the QBs and prototypes made here. The QBs primer has no pigment so it just makes the interior surfaces slightly darker and less shiny. In the US, this primer has a green tint, so the two will not match exactly. We use this primer because It is inexpensive, dries fast, and is easy to apply. Sherwin Williams will tell you that the primer needs a top coat. True, for optimum corrosion resistance, but Vans feels that this is not necessary for the way in which most owners will maintain their RVs."

The primer they use, P60G2, according to S-W's web site, "provides no significant corrosion protection."

So I'm not too sure why they chose that. :confused: But when I started my QB I decided not to use it to prime the parts that I built, like the empennage. I am not priming an part that Van's already primed. However, I am adding primer where I think it's needed, and I'm using S-W GBP 988 for that.

Thanks. I am going to have to read-up on the priming discussions before I make you repost it all in here.

I seem to remember the same topcoat discussion when I repainted a part of an old truck I used to have. Apparently the primer is not a moisture barrier like a topcoat is, so it didn't keep the corrosion away. I guess that is what you are describing.

Mark,

Are you using S-W 988 rattle can or mixed up primer or both. I am just starting my tail and plan to use the rattle cans for most of that but wondered if the 988 comes in quarts for larger jobs? I too am doing the QB, I have to but the top of the fuselage ribs on, and that means the lower half will have Van's primer and the upper the gray color of the 988, did you re prime these parts? Your QB may have had all of the fuselage ribs done so you may not know what I am referring too.

Thanks

Mark or Martin?

I didn't see a Mark on this thread, so I assume RVG8tor was asking me (Martin).

I used rattle cans exclusively. I bought a case (plus a few loose cans) at a local S-W store and have gone through about 8 cans so far. I can't be bothered to clean a spray gun after priming a few parts, and I don't want to wait to accumulate a large batch of parts.

I'm afraid I don't know what parts you're referring to. I do have a few parts that are partly light gray and partly dull gray (or whatever you call that Philippine primer,) but they're not visible so I'm not wringing my hands over it.

If you look at my Web site you'll see that I even experimented with zinc oxide for awhile, so my airplane even has a few green parts. The accident investigators will be very confused..."Hmmm, obviously two or three RV-7s collided in midair."

Martin,

Thanks for the info, sorry about he confusion on the name, I was typing fast and thought I remembered it as "Mark". I did not double check.

Cheers