E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
My house is fairly close to the Pacific Ocean and I have a considerable rust and corrosion problem with just about anything made of metal here. I am seriously considering priming all interior surfaces of my RV-12. I mentioned this to the DAR who is a member of the local EAA Chapter and we agreed that Van's should be consulted just to be sure that it would not jeopardize the ELAS construction rules.

So, here is the (very welcome) quote that I received from Joe Blank at Van's Tech help -

"Priming the inside of the RV-12 structure will in no way jeopardize the legalities of the ELAS status of the RV-12, as long as it is done "within reason". This would mean that some types of exorbitant applications may be a problem, such as an acid etch/alodine/primer/topcoat or extremely heavy multi-step coating process that typically would not be approved in a certified aircraft. If it appears in Section 5 priming information, you will be OK for approval. "Best practices" typically recommend priming the entire inside of the framework structure including all of the skins, angle, bar stock, etc., as well as priming and topcoating the exterior of the aircraft. Recommended primers are listed on Page 5-1 of the Construction Manual. We would suggest using the Sherman Williams Wash Primer #P60G2 process as it requires minimum surface preparation and is a self etching primer."

So, when I begin construction, I'll be priming everything inside. This adds weight and complicates/prolongs the build but I'm happy. Good enough for me!!! Thanks again, Joe Blank of Van's Tech Support:):):)