IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I have the Vans primer solenoid valve. It has 2 black wires coming from it. Is there a polarity here, or can I hook either one to +12V/Ground?

I tried it both ways and got a loud click.

I found the datasheet on the web from Skinner, and all it tells me is 12 Volts, 7 Watts.

Thanks for any info,

Wiring doesn't matter, but you should install a clamping diode on the output to prevent spikes (just like you did on the master solenoid).

Also note that port 1 is fuel outlet and port 2 is fuel inlet.

Thanks Walt - I caught the whole 2 into 1 port thing, but I couldn't find anything on the wiring. How do you know?

I am going to put the spike catching diode on... what is the best way when it is just wires (not screws like the master & start relays)?

dave

Thanks I couldn't find anything on the wiring. How do you know?

I am going to put the spike catching diode on... what is the best way when it is just wires (not screws like the master & start relays)?

dave

Cause I'm really smart:D
It's just a coil of wire, makes no difference which way the current flows.

The diode needs to be as close to the coil as possible. When I had this setup I grounded one wire at the mount bolt along with one end of the diode. Cut the other wire and splice on a real tefzel wire and the other end of the diode in the same crimp and you're done.

No polarity

You can go to the Parker website to validate, but the black wire goes to positive, and the black wire goes to negative. :)

This is very common on industrial solenoids of this type.

M

Thanks guys - I'll hook up the black wires to positive and negative and I'll be happy. Wish all the wires worked this way!

Thanks guys - I'll hook up the black wires to positive and negative and I'll be happy. Wish all the wires worked this way!

This is one of the simplest pieces of electronics - the coil simply makes a magnetic field to actuate the solenoid, and the solenoid does not care one bit about the polarity of that field, just it's presence or absence.