flyindoorman

Well Known Member
Gave the plane a bath yesterday and noticed several spots of primer overspray on the windows. What is the best way to remove the primer without damage to the glass ?

simple solution

An auto detailing clay bar is used for this purpose on paint finishes. It should remove the overspray without scratching the windows. A light plastic polishing might be needed if the window does not come out perfectly clear.

Last edited:
Overspray Remover

I had the same problem. Someone in an adjacent hangar painted their airplane and I discovered overspray on my windscreen. "Permatex Plastic Cleaner" Item # 80183 / 403-D worked well for me. I purchased it from Aircraft Spruce.

overspray

I've had good luck with Arm & Hammer toothpaste and a very soft-bristled brush on small areas of overspray. Try anything you choose on an inconspicuous area first.

Jim at Bulverde
RV12 N233TX

Overspray Remover

The Permatex, I mentioned, seems to have a solvent and polish formula.
Worked great for me.

Gave the plane a bath yesterday and noticed several spots of primer overspray on the windows. What is the best way to remove the primer without damage to the glass ?

For small spots I've had good luck with using a small (about 1 inch) piece of scrap plexi as a scraper. File down one edge at a slight angle to sharpen it, and use like you would a razor blade. Done carefully it won't scratch the canopy.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies after the holidays are over I will try and get it removed. It is thin but covers a few large areas that is only noticed when the sun hits it just the wrong way...Merry Christmas