I just finished one of my RV-7 fuel tanks (pressurized for two days with no leaks!) and was planning to primer the exposed interior portion of the tank before mounting it to the wing. However, I just want to make sure that the primer isn't going to have an adverse effect on the sealant. I'd hate to make a mistake now!

I'm using standard AKZO primer and the Vans sealant and it's had about a week to cure.

There is no need to prime the interior of the tank and there are probably some good reasons why you should not. This has nothing to do with whether the paint will stick to the Proseal.

Proceed with caution. I'm sure you get a more complete answer before the end of the day from people that know more if the "whys" then I do.

I am assuming your NOT planning on painting the interior of the tank. That'd be a bad idea. The exterior and over primer is not a problem and done all the time.

Rick...I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. I know better than to prime the interior of the tank. In fact, the tank is already complete. My question was about priming the exterior portions such as the end ribs and rear baffle that will be interior to the wing once screwed in place.

Tony...You have it right. I was pretty sure there wasn't a problem but wanted to confirm since I've never specifically read that it's okay to prime over sealant. Thanks!

Chris, yep... mis-understood your wording.

Even though pro-seal is a bit of a pain to work with, I used it in many places as "aircraft grade caulking". The fact that it can be painted is one of it's great properties.

I primed the exterior sides of ribs and the baffle of my tanks and the primer sticks to the sealant very well. No problem at all.