Humrnv

I just overhauled my O-320 and installed dual pmags and one of the primer fittings on the old cylinder rounded out. So I was contemplating just not installing the primer all together. Any thoughts?

RV-6, O-320 160hp dual pmags

Primer is not needed on all cylinders. Usually one cylinder furnishes MP from the primer port.

I’ve never needed a primer system. A couple pumps on the throttle after you engage the starter works every time for me. I use one of the cylinder primer ports for my manifold pressure sense line.

Off topic slightly but I am considering fitting a primer to my 320 powered 4 as I’ve never liked the throttle pumping, besides it doesn’t work that well anyway. Anyone used an electric primer of sorts?

Off topic slightly but I am considering fitting a primer to my 320 powered 4 as I’ve never liked the throttle pumping, besides it doesn’t work that well anyway. Anyone used an electric primer of sorts?
Yes, pretty common to use a solenoid valve instead of the old Piper / Cessna plunger. Cheaper and one less fuel line in the cockpit.

I’ve never needed a primer system. A couple pumps on the throttle after you engage the starter works every time for me. I use one of the cylinder primer ports for my manifold pressure sense line.
Same. For colder climes it might be different but sans primer works fine where I live and fly (Pacific NW). Just remember not to pump the throttle without the engine cranking.

I have the electric solenoid primer in my -4. Works great, 3 cylinders with nozzles. Takes about a 3 second press of the momentary button while boost pump is on.

With the dual P-mags, the need for priming fuel is less. I wouldn’t worry about only using 3

I have had 2 O-320's and my current O-360 all without primers. As long as you have an accelerator pump on your carb pumping the throttle works just fine. Never had a starting issue in winter or summer in over 1000 hrs with these 3 planes.

I'm in the southern fl, but with duel p mags on my o-360 I never have to prime anything . Maybe a single quick jab of the throttle while cranking but that's it always starts right up