walkman

Well Known Member
I am replacing a cracked primer line and replacing it all with new soft copper rather than trying to reuse the old, probably work and heat cycle hardened copper line (or trying to anneal it back soft again).

I have purchased the correct 1/8" copper line and the AN ball end fitting for the primer nozzle, however when it came to solder them together last night I found that the AN end does not fit over the copper line.

Is this normal? Is there a significant difference in the coefficient of thermal expansion for these two materials that it will fit when heated? I'm sort of doubtful about that.

Alternately, I've heard of an old-style Piper primer nozzle that used a compression fitting to the line, I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Van's just uses regular aluminum AN fittings with the copper tube that gets flared, just as in all of the other fuel and vent lines in the plane. No soldering required. Hope this helps.

Which fittings?

Do you mean, instead of the primer nozzle?

I was under the impression the tiny primer nozzle was to provide at least some level of atomization of the fuel.

If you are talking about a 1/8" compression fitting to AN pipe fitting will there be any atomization? or is it unneeded?

What am I missing?