alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Don't want to start a primer war...

I need to prime the inside of my three large pushtubes. I'm basically done priming my airframe, so I don't want to buy anything in great quantity or that is expensive or, preferably, that I would have to mix. (It took one gallon of Variprime to do most of my entire airframe, but it is relative expensive.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap one-part primer that I could pour into the tubes to slosh around? Someone else recommended Marhyde, but I couldn't find it at a local autoparts store.

Thoughts?

one part self-etch primer

I used SEM brand self-etching primer in a quart can to slosh the insides of my pushrod tubes.

I suppose you could etch/alodine it this way instead.

Vern Little

How interesting, I just got through researching this topic and then saw this thread. :) For the inside of my aileron pushrods, I used SW GBP 988 as Dan mentioned, sprayed liberally down both ends and swirled around. For my elevator pushrod, I ordered a quart of SEM self etching primer (part #39684), which I've heard is basically equivalent to 988. (this after I called around and was unable to find a non-aerosol version of 988). I'll keep using 988 in cans to prime the rest of my parts, but I figured it would be easier and more economical to slosh liquid primer down the big pushrod rather than waste a spray can trying to coat it all along the whole length.

The cheapest I could find for a quart of SEM was about fifteen bucks at http://www.crashsupply.com.

cheers,
mcb

Thanks for the replies. I found a local supplier of SEM. I too use 988 (or the Napa equivalent 7220) for all of my little parts now, but spraying enough 988/7220 to cover the inside of the long push tubes didn't seem to be very cost effective. Thanks for the sugggestions.