prkaye

Well Known Member
I've been working on Van's practice project. Although there's obviously no need to prime the practice project, I am doing it anyway, just to get a feel for the entire process.
I laid the pieces down, backside up, and sprayed the self-etching primer onto the surface. The problem I had was that the primer leaked through to the other side (around the edges and through the drilled holes). What's the easiest way to avoid this? Put masking tape along the edges and holes on the non-primed side of the parts?

You might be applying too much primer. Try a light "pink coat", allow to tack up, followed by a medium coat or two, allowing drying time between coats.

Roberta

prkaye said:
I've been working on Van's practice project. Although there's obviously no need to prime the practice project, I am doing it anyway, just to get a feel for the entire process.
I laid the pieces down, backside up, and sprayed the self-etching primer onto the surface. The problem I had was that the primer leaked through to the other side (around the edges and through the drilled holes). What's the easiest way to avoid this? Put masking tape along the edges and holes on the non-primed side of the parts?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The first thing the painter's going to do when he gets your airplane is to rough the whole thing up. That will get rid of any primer overspray.

If you insist on worrying about it :)D), you can always just wipe off the overspray with some solvent. Even AKZO will come off for a good long time until it's actually fully set but more than dry enough to handle.

too much

you are to close or too slow. get a handle on it now or it will just aggravate you as you go..spray can primers seem to flow a bit. the spray gun method works better. however you can overcome this simple problem with tecnique. 8-10 inces away sweeping from left to right in a parrallel stroke. you shouldnt have any rolling around corners. good luck

Less is more!

With primers "less is more" you don't want heavy coats of primer two light coats are all you need.

Adam Silverstein
Finnish 8-Soon!

While on this, a quick mention of the dreaded Sharpie bleed !

Make sure you remove all traces prior to painting as it seems to be able to bleed through most things - I had a slight bleed through to topcoat on one of the first test pieces :eek: