Charles in SC

Well Known Member
This may be a dumb question but I have not ever used epoxy paints.
If I use an epoxy primer do I sand it before applying a top coat of epoxy paint.

This may be a dumb question but I have not ever used epoxy paints.
If I use an epoxy primer do I sand it before applying a top coat of epoxy paint.

You'll have to read the documentation that accompanied the product(s) you have selected to find the specifics about those particular products.

Generally, there is a recoat window beginning after the primer has dried, but before it is fully cured. During that window, you can top-coat without sanding.

You'll have to read the documentation that accompanied the product(s) you have selected to find the specifics about those particular products.

Generally, there is a recoat window beginning after the primer has dried, but before it is fully cured. During that window, you can top-coat without sanding.

The recoat window typically applies to any 2 stage coating over the epoxy. With the system that I use, they recommend, when past the recoat window, to scuff the epoxy primer lay another coat of expoxy primer then top coat within the window. This improves adhesion. This is not necessary if final coat is epoxy. However, I am not aware of any epoxy-based top coats, only primers.

Larry

I used epoxy primer and wet block sanded W/ 400 before B/C top coat. came out great!

The recoat window typically applies to any 2 stage coating over the epoxy. With the system that I use, they recommend, when past the recoat window, to scuff the epoxy primer lay another coat of expoxy primer then top coat within the window. This improves adhesion. This is not necessary if final coat is epoxy. However, I am not aware of any epoxy-based top coats, only primers.

Larry

Klass Kote makes an epoxy system that some of the RC model airplane guys use and I've used it on large (6' to 12') model rockets made of fiberglass. They have primers and top coats in flat and glossy finishes.

Klass Kote makes an epoxy system that some of the RC model airplane guys use and I've used it on large (6' to 12') model rockets made of fiberglass. They have primers and top coats in flat and glossy finishes.

I would encourage you to look at 2K poly systems. Either single stage or base / clear. It will likely be more forgiving to apply and be more durable and repairable. Epoxy doesn't like UV. Most Epoxy primer will decompose in UV exposure without a top coat. Auto paints also have UV inhibitors.

Larry