mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am bending and installing the cockpit portion of the brake and fuel lines. Should these be primed? Painting them to match the interior seems reasonable, although a little bit of a hassel. I don't think they will show much, if any. It is bare aluminum, so priming seems reasonable. Just unsure if it is overkill.

Thoughts?

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage

When to final install

I'm at a similar point, task-wise anyway. I haven't yet riveted the fuse, but the destructions advise doing the fuel/vent lines while access is good. So I ordered for myself an Andair fuel valve and Airflow Performance fuel pump and fuel filter. If I make and install the lines now, they;ll only get painted with interior paint anyway later on. Or can they be easily removed and re-installed. I'm at work at the moment, and its been a few days since I read The Good Book, but it gave me the impression that at least one (or maybe more than one?) of the lines needed to be made 'in place', presumably because it won't fit through a hole once fittings are added?

Priming Lines

Hi Jeff

Precisely where I am. My riveting buddy suggests getting all that stuff in permanently. I have been painting the interior as I go, so it is mostly all finished. I have the pump and filter and will probably try to leave as much of the fuel and brake systems in as I can. I will keep you posted on how it works out.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 fuselage

Update?

Hey Michael, did you do that interior painting. How did it work out? Any pics?
I'm just finishing up putting on the bottom skins after mounting the Grove gear legs and beginning to wonder exactly when I should be doing the interior paint. One part of me says sooner while access is still adequate, and another part says way later when all the metalwork has been done (though that will require removal of a whole load of stuff like controls, etc).

Primed no. Polished YES!:)
dcp3379nx3.jpg

Last edited: