PeteP

Well Known Member
Living here is extreem south eastern VA I suspect that my carbed O320 will not need a priming system except on rare ocassions. I am considering not installing a priming system but I am getting a mixed response from other local builders on this subject. If you have exoperience either way with a priming systems on a carbed O320 I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Hey Pete,

I too have a RV9 with an o-320. I did install a primer on two cylinders. Living in Wisconsin I thought it wise to have a primer. I also have dual P-mags and as a result I have only used the primer a handful of times and when I did I am not sure that I needed to. My thoughts on the primer were that if my battery became marginal, I wanted to get the engine fired as quickly as possible. Not sure if that is a good enough reason but that was my thought.

I used the primer on three cylinders (0-360). Starts so easily with the system, instead of spinning the prop to suck up fuel from the carb. I wouldn't be happy without it.

I prime on every startup in my carbed O320 with one mag and a LS ignition. I think it is more necessary on cold winter mornings (about 40 deg.) here in GA than the rest of the year. I plan to install a priming system in my current project as well, a Hatz Biplane.

I have an O-320 with primer to three cylinders, and it gets cold up here. I haven't used it but a few times, and I doubt that I have ever needed it. My thoughts, if you need it, you need to pre-heat, and then you wouldn't need it anyway. Another possible source of problems. YMMV...

(Should have noted I have dual P-Mags, probably helps a bunch.)

Bob

Last edited:
I've been flying my Rv-9A just over a year with an 0-320 carbed engine with no primer. I am getting ready to install one because the engine turns over three or four times before starting using only the accelerator pump while cranking. I see no reason for the extra wear on the starter and battery when it will start on the first or second blade with a little prime.

Every engine starts differently. I use 2 shots of prime first start of the day (O-320). After that, I don't touch anything but the starter button. Always starts on first or second blade. Been working perfectly for almost 20 years.