danielhv

Well Known Member
Just curious... are you guys removing every little sticker (the price tag looking ones) from every rib before priming? I have up to this point, but man, its a PITA trying to get all the glue off. :( Just wondered if I could just prime right over them or if that would be a bad idea...

Heat gun on low temp or a hair dryer loosens the sticker, then a little acetone & the glue residue comes off. Not that bad a job, really.

So, yes, I took all the stickers off. Paper absorbs moisture.

Remove them. I find mineral spirits does the trick; wet out the sticker and it will slide off; finish with a rag. If you're etching or using a self-etching primer, then the stickers should lift anyway (in the later case, you're just wasting primer because you'll have to re-spray where the sticker was). If you're not prepping the surface before priming, then it doesn't matter - you don't even need to bother priming - because priming over an unprepared surface is not much different than not priming at all.

Remove them. I find mineral spirits does the trick; wet out the sticker and it will slide off; finish with a rag. If you're etching or using a self-etching primer, then the stickers should lift anyway (in the later case, you're just wasting primer because you'll have to re-spray where the sticker was). If you're not prepping the surface before priming, then it doesn't matter - you don't even need to bother priming - because priming over an unprepared surface is not much different than not priming at all.

Ill remove the stickers... I use the duplicolor self etching primer. I do not go through the trouble of cleaning, etching, yadda yadda before spraying... and in 24 hours, I can't even scratch it off without using a tool or something... Been working just fine!!

Don't take shortcuts

Do it right. From your posts, it looks like you are really trying to do a good job. Don't take shortcuts because they are a pain. Cheats are bad habits that have a tendency to creep up again and come back and bite you in the fanny later.

It also makes someone that sees your work wonder where you might have also taken a shortcut.

A little naptha takes the glue off easily and isn't as flammable as acetone.

Try goofing off!

I used Goof off adhesive remover. (the original not the citrus based) Just wet them out, let em sit for a minute and scrap them off with a plastic scraper.

Easy as pie

Friend of mine finished his SeaRey while ago and has stickers still attached. It's much easier to order spare parts if needed. :D Ok, he didn't have to prime those parts...

Think long term

Some day you might want to sell it. If I looked inside a wing and saw primer over stickers I'd definitely look for another plane.

Some day you might want to sell it. If I looked inside a wing and saw primer over stickers I'd definitely look for another plane.

This was a good point. The small things can make a difference -- how meaningless they now may feel.