AlinNS

Well Known Member
I've been scuffing up my hinge brackets to make painting them in the future easier.

Does anyone prime/paint the hinge brackets before installing them or just leave them with the white paint from Van's? Curious about the long term corrosion resistance of leaving them as is?

How 'bout the nut plates... anyone scuff and prime these guys?

If you are referring to powder coated parts, then it is not necessary to paint them, the will not corrode unless the powder coating chips off. Nut plates are moly coated and are very corrosion resistant as is.

Nut plates

No paint on powder coated parts.
I do prime nut plates. Call me sick. I run a screw in first to make sure they are good, slosh with lacquer thinner the spray with Napa 7220.

Mike, Larry,

Thanks for the replies. One more thing: any concerns with aluminum rivets in steel parts re corrosion? Been meaning to ask opinions on this for awhile and I'm sure there are threads but I can't find much...

Steel parts

Mike, Larry,

Thanks for the replies. One more thing: any concerns with aluminum rivets in steel parts re corrosion? Been meaning to ask opinions on this for awhile and I'm sure there are threads but I can't find much...

Rivets are treated. I think.
Bare steel probably should have some primer on it.

Curious about the long term corrosion resistance of leaving them as is?

Here is my example on the subject of corrosion resistance. Delamination on some untreated powder coated brackets started after 8 years. Others are still holding but you can see the oxidation is penetrating the edges :)

Hey Vlad, thanks for the pictures.

I've spent most of my flying career in a salt water environment, so may be a little more paranoid than most... I'll be adding a coat of paint on top of the powder coat:)

Dissimilar metal protection

I cut my teeth doing sheet metal work on helicopters in the gulf. We put scotch tape as a barrier between the nut plates and aluminum. The cad plating is a sacrificial layer that will fail in time. Corrosion needs three things, moisture, oxygen, and electrons. Eliminate any one and it won't corrode.The tape acted as an electrical insulator. The nut plates would still rust in time, but the underlying aluminum would be ok.
Check out this chart
http://www.npfasteners.com/pdfs/galvanic-corrosion-chart.pdf