Cherishing the process

What a beautiful story, Bob. I love your perspective on the process of building with a family member and the value of cherishing the process instead of the attempt to build an award-winning plane. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Me too

Hello all,
I'm not building with my father (he's living 400 miles from us), but when the time came to rivet the upper wing skins, he wanted to be the one helping me. He had never riveted anything but we did both wing upper skins in three days and drilled out only three rivets (and the first one was to show him how it is done).
He is slightly hearing impaired and when working with the earmuffs, communication is sometimes difficult.
We were working on the joint between the two skins and I told him we had to be careful because on one of the rivet rows there was no underlying rib. Getting ready, I had some difficulties holding the bucking bar and shouted "Wait", he shooted.
Well that wing has now what is called my Dad's ding, and will keep it.

Bob,

There are more important things in life than perfect airplanes, as you so eloquently pointed out. We all need to realize the beauty in the process, and in those who help us along.

Bob Kelly

Thanks Bob

Bob,
Thanks for taking the time and shaaring a wonderful story. As an old friend once told me, "the journey is everything" I am about to start my fifth year of building and wonder when I will ever be finished. One day I will look at my to do list and it will be empty, then I can fly.

Oh, you're that guy! I've had your site bookmarked for a long time. Even before I found this one. ;)