Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Even though it has been reported by this website and Aero-News as "not an April Fools Joke", I find nothing on Van's website about this new pricing. Also the fact that Van's supposedly made the announcement on a Sunday seems suspicious. Has this been checked out with the factory?

Last edited:
Mel, I suspect it was on auto-send for the 1st. I got the press release in the same email that went out to all the av-news sources....I just got it to press first I guess. It's all ligit.

b,
d

Check Order Forms

If you check the engine and propellor order forms on Van's site you will see mention of the $1000 discount if you purchase the prop and engine together.

I have not been able to confirm the price reduction on the engines. The engine order form is dated 4/1/07. Someone would need to find and old engine order form to compare to the new to see how much prices have been reduced on various engines.

Great. Price reductions are always good news.
I just didn't understand why they didn't list it under "What's New?"

DB1033 said:
If you check the engine and propellor order forms on Van's site you will see mention of the $1000 discount if you purchase the prop and engine together.

I have not been able to confirm the price reduction on the engines. The engine order form is dated 4/1/07. Someone would need to find and old engine order form to compare to the new to see how much prices have been reduced on various engines.

From Van's 2006 Accessory Catalog

NON EXPERIMENTAL ENGINES (v=vertical h=horizontal fp=fixed pitch cs=constant speed
Part no. HP Induction Prop type Cylinders Price
O-320-D1A 160 v fp/cs 4 $23,850.00
0-320-D2G 160 v fp 4 Not Listed
O-360-A1A 180 v fp/cs 4 $25,250.00
IO-360-M1B 180 h fp/cs 4 $31,150.00
IO-360-A1B6 200 h fp/cs 4 $35,400.00
IO-540-D4A5 260 v fp/cs 6 $42,650.00

They didn't have any X engines in the catalog so this isn't really apples to apples.

Stunned by the deep discounts now being offered since I ordered an engine and prop in mid March, I called Van's pleading my case. Even they were caught by an unexpected (and pleasant) surprise. Unfortunately for me, the discount on the combo became effective on April 1. Still, I was happy to discover that the new engine price was discounted by Lycoming and according to Anne at Van's I will enjoy its new price, the difference being refunded to me.

It is not everyday that an engine manufacturer decides to REDUCE the price of its offerings and then grandfather in a paid customer to take advantage of the significant savings.

Say what you will about "Lycosaurus" but no other powerplant has ever been even remotely considered by this builder.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1896 :D

Rick6a said:
It is not everyday that an engine manufacturer decides to REDUCE the price of its offerings and then grandfather in a paid customer to take advantage of the significant savings.

Say what you will about "Lycosaurus" but no other powerplant has ever been even remotely considered by this builder.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1896 :D

Just to add a data point: Mattituck is currently offering a $1000 reduction on their TMX engines.

Isn't competition GREAT!

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
Isn't competition GREAT!
Yeah! And I quess the competition is also the only reason why Lycoming has reduced it's prices. They have seen that clones are selling well, are cheaper and we don't see such a big difference between engine technology and reliability as Lycoming wish they would have to maintain their prices. :cool:

Lower priced Lycs

Maybe what you should be saying is Vans reduced Lycoming's price. They encouraged sales of a quality product and volume means savings for all, and bread on Lycomings table.

Do we expect these lower prices to stick around? I hope so... I'm a couple of years away from being in a position to buy my engine!

Jekyll said:
Just to add a data point: Mattituck is currently offering a $1000 reduction on their TMX engines.

Isn't competition GREAT!

Jekyll

How come they can offer FI for only $700 more, while Lyc wants $3K?

Does the $1000 Mattituck reduction come off the 5/26/06 price list?

"As of April 1, 2007" ????

Van?s is pleased to announce that new Experimental Lycoming Engines on order as of April 1, 2007 will sell for significantly reduced prices.

This is interesting... "on order as of April 1, 2007...". Does that mean you would have to have had your order placed before this great news came out? What if you place an order after that??? Just wondering!!!

The rebate offered is from the latest prices dated Jan 17th, 2007. There has been alot of confusion caused by Sport Aviation Magazine running old outdated ad's in the last two issues. Last month they ran the old and the new ad. We asked them to remove the old ad. They removed the new ad and left the old ad in the April issue. Good grief!

yiker said:
The rebate offered is from the latest prices dated Jan 17th, 2007. There has been alot of confusion caused by Sport Aviation Magazine running old outdated ad's in the last two issues. Last month they ran the old and the new ad. We asked them to remove the old ad. They removed the new ad and left the old ad in the April issue. Good grief!

I guess you work for Mattituck?

The 5/26/06 price list I was referring to came off your (Mattitucks) website.

http://www.mattituck.com/TMX Experimenta 360-320 Order Sheet.doc

Under TMX Order Forms.