Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Page 86 of the brand new Aircraft Spruce Catalog K1100-08 dimpled anchor nuts are listed at 32 cents each. However, if you try to order them you will find that the are actually 73 cents each. I need 186 of them for a wing tip replacement modification that I am making to my RV-6A and according to my practice I rounded the order quantity up to 200. When I ran into this on line I stopped the order process and called in the order only to find that the 73 cent price is correct and the person I talked to said "It's blacked out" in the catalog. Maybe it is in the sales department copy but not the one they sent me in the mail. I checked Van's and found the price is 56 cents each. So, I have them in route for $112 as opposed to $146 from Aircraft Spruce. According to the ACS catalog they should have cost $64. I sent ACS an e-mail through their contact us system yesterday asking for an explanation but received no response. Bottom line, be careful to check the actual price charged when placing an order.

Bob Axsom

yeah bob! really disappointing. I've ordered stuff that is 100% higher than the listed price. like cotterless hitch pins. IIRC

Yeah, but...

I understand the frustration, but is does say "Prices subject to change without notice" at the bottom of every page of the catalog.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Being in manufacturing and dealing with supplier every day...the last year EVERYTHING has gone up in prices. My suppliers that used to have a few percent increase every couple of years have had 3 or 4 in just the last 12 months. Cost of materials has skyrocketed. I agree it can be frustrating to the consumer, but there is just not much the seller can do when the suppliers increase the prices every few months. When your dealing with items with small profit margins, like nuts, bolts, hardware, etc the seller simply has to keep up with current priceing.

WARNING - THREAD DRIFT
Mark Manda
Why the photo of the cover of "Whipped Cream" next to your name?
John

Here is an example of what my material costs have done in the last year. I was paying $2.35 a lb. for the particular tool steel I use several thousand lbs. a year. It is now $3.75 a lb. We can thank China for that.

I am amazed the price of Van's kits haven't gone up much more than they have. Still a bargain. Thanks Van!!!!

thread drift -- whipped cream

Was that whipped cream? On my computer it looked like someone in a wedding dress! :eek: (Hey, Mark started the "drift"! :D)

codgers recognize the 1967 album "whipped cream" by herb alpert and the tijuana brass. iirc, it was the album that had "taste of honey" on it.

finally something i understand

I've been on the site for two years and finally i see something i understand! Ahhh.. the tijuana brass.. the good old days! Does this make me a codger?
dennis

Whipped Cream...Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

codgers recognize the 1967 album "whipped cream" by herb alpert and the tijuana brass. iirc, it was the album that had "taste of honey" on it.

I remember it...so that confirms what I have suspected: I am a codger. Is that sorta like a curmudgeon, which I've been called a few times!

BTW, I happen to still own my original 1967 "Whipped Cream" album. I always did like whipped cream!

But it looks like Mark has changed his avatar.

Don

I understand how prices can change after catalog printing, but I was recently presented with a higher bill on spark plugs from Chief Aircraft after being quoted the lower price on ordering.
They did eventually refund the difference, but not without a long conversation.

We noticed Bob?s comment regarding our price on the K1100-08 anchor nuts, and it is true that the price in our latest catalog is 32 cents each and the current price is 73 cents each. The catalog is prepared in the spring of each year, and at that time our current price was 32 cents based on our current cost. Our supplier ran out of stock and we had to find a new vendor. The best price we could find was much higher for new stock, so we had no choice but to adjust our selling price to 73 cents each.

We do our best to keep our prices as low as possible, and in most cases prices of products remain unchanged for several years. In this case however, we could not continue to sell the anchor nuts for less than we were paying for them. Our website prices are always current, whereas the catalog is updated and printed only once each year. Also we will always match any other supplier?s current advertised price on any product. We appreciate the business we receive from RV builders and look forward to continuing to serve you.

Aircraft Spruce

I still have "Whipped Creme" and a number of other Herb Alpert albums. I grew up listening to these albums that belonged to my Dad. I guess I now know why I like to lick whipped creme off desserts...:D

Here is another one

We noticed Bob?s comment regarding our price on the K1100-08 anchor nuts, and it is true that the price in our latest catalog is 32 cents each and the current price is 73 cents each. The catalog is prepared in the spring of each year, and at that time our current price was 32 cents based on our current cost. Our supplier ran out of stock and we had to find a new vendor. The best price we could find was much higher for new stock, so we had no choice but to adjust our selling price to 73 cents each.

We do our best to keep our prices as low as possible, and in most cases prices of products remain unchanged for several years. In this case however, we could not continue to sell the anchor nuts for less than we were paying for them. Our website prices are always current, whereas the catalog is updated and printed only once each year. Also we will always match any other supplier?s current advertised price on any product. We appreciate the business we receive from RV builders and look forward to continuing to serve you.

Aircraft Spruce

Someone needs to check that catalog!

My Jeppesen subscription is up for renewal and I am looking at options. I checked the new Aircraft Spruce catalog and find the the price listed on page 694 for the East & Central Enroute & Terminal Charts is $150.95. I called immediately with the intent of ordering but I was told by the sales representative that the actual price is well over $1,000. The prices listed in this book are not reliable and cannot be explained away by cost increases since the book was pasted up for the printer.

Bob Axsom

Whipped Cream

I've been listening to it since I was a kid. Maybe I learned the "RV grin" the first time I looked at the album cover!

wing tip attach

I think Avery has a kit for this which includes plate nuts, washers and screws - even rivets? When I bought mine it was under $40. I think there are 50 per side. If not Avery, Cleaveland. Think screws are #4 and some people say they are easy to break. Have been told to use Beolube on the screws. Good luck. Bill

It's been years -- I think -- since a price in Aircraft Spruce's catalog matched the price online when I've made an order. I just automatically add 15% to everything in the catalog when I'm browsing.

price match 101

During the last year I spent more at Spruce than I dare to tell my wife but if you can find any source that has the same item for fewer $$, Spruce will price match.

That said, my experience has been that your order will be delayed whilst the nice people confirm the lower price. In my case, my orders were usually ahead of my building pace so the delay didn't really matter.

Bottom line, if you send Spruce the details of the competitive vendor, the delay will not be as long.

That begs the question, why not simply use the alternate vendor? Because many times my orders had lots of parts (for two airplanes) and I found it to be a helluva lot easier (and cheaper on freight) to bundle all requirements together.

Once a week, my UPS Care Package of goodies arrives. The orders were always correct which means a lot to me.

Barry

Gary Bricker

I use the online cat. and I always know what the price is. The service is so good at Spruce I will not go to others unless they don't have it.