prkaye

Well Known Member
My RV-9/9A preview plans just arrived. Very exciting, but I have to admit, looking through them has overwhelmed and frightened me a bit!
They have all these pages of schematic diagrams. I'm praying that when i order the sub-kits there are more step-by-step instructions than just these diagrams. The idea of trying to figure out how to put everything together based on these schematics alone is terrifying!

Did anybody else have this experience when they first looked through the preview plans? Are the instructions that come with the kits a lot more detailed?

Last edited:
You should have the latest version of the instructions right there in the preview plans book. The instructions part of the book starts right after the chapters on "how to" do things. I think the last chapter is 5, and the instructions should be right after that. The schematic drawings are the last part of the book.

The emp instructions are VERY thorough and spelled out. Enjoy that part... :D and welcome to RV building!!

:cool:

ah!

Ah hah... thanks Chad, I just had another look in that massive binder and found the instructions.

In my initial excitement, I headed straight for the fancy technical drawings, and scared myself.

I don't know how any first-timer would have dared build a kit plane before internet forums existed. I have the distinct feeling that this place is going to be a real sanity-saver for me in the coming years!

Last edited:
preview plans

As a first time builder, I remember receiving the preview plans and reacting similar to you. It looked really overwhelming. I then attended a builders workshop (highly recommended), after which I focused on one component at a time, rather than thinking about the entire airframe. As many have said before me, building an airplane is 100+ small projects, not one big project. That approach worked for me and has worked for hundreds of others. This forum and lots of great builder websites will help you tremendously. Just don't get in a hurry. Things take longer than you plan sometimes. It's a great experience, well worth the time and money. Jack

prkaye,

I too got lost in the plans thinking about things like what engine I was going to have decide on before ordering the finishing kit. I was worrying over something that is years away.

Focus on the here and now. Your first plunge into building this airplane will be the tail kit. Stay focused on the tail.

RV-8 Preview Plans

I totally agree. I just recieved my -8 preview plans last week and it seems alittle vague. I'm sure once I sit down and study everything it will come to together. I am saving my pennies so I have several months before ordering the tail.
And you're right, the builder sites and this forum are invaluable, although I found myself looking for the tail jig drawings (ala rvproject.com) in my plans only to discover that you don't need them on the match-drilled -8, at least I think that is the deal?!

Good luck on your project and wish me luck on mine!

The one thing everyone will tell you is

READ the plans, READ the plans, READ the plans......(in conjunction with the manual)

until you are 100% happy that you fully understand what you are trying to do - the info required is there but sometimes you have to look CAREFULLY to avoid overlooking things -

ask me (and probably most other builders) how I know this...............

Another little tip is to read the instructions for a section all the way through before you start handling the parts.
The plans will include everything you need to know about that section, but if you don't read the instructions fully before you start, you'll find that you may perform some steps too early since you saw the operation on the plans without knowing exactly when in the sequence you are supposed to do it.

Not that I've ever done that myself... :eek:

EAA...

The simple answer is to join the EAA and especially to find a chapter and go visit another builder/builders. We didn't have the internet 20 years ago and thousands of airplanes were built then. My first one was built in 1974! ;)

The Preview Plans general instructions were useful to me but the building instructions and reduced drawings were not. In fact, as the original poster mentioned, they were almost counterproductive because they were so intimidating. Even when I got specific kit (like the wing or fuselage), instructions and full-size drawings, reading through the instructions in their entirety and looking at the drawings didn't do much for me. It wasn't until I held the specific parts in my hand, and trial fit them together, that I could really understand what was going on. Personally, I could only stay about half a page of instructions ahead at a time. But that has been enough.

Also, and I think I got this idea from Dan's page, is that I would get in the habit of reviewing the pertinant drawings closely for the component you are working on, and highlighting any of the little notes or comments that have a verb in them, and putting a checkbox next to them. For example, "countersink this hole". The further you get into the project, the less detailed the instructions get, and the more you will find action items that are only mentioned on the drawings.

Finally, the Preview Plans are intimidating because they show the project in its entirely. Taking the project a piece at a time, it is amazing what is accomplished if you just keep at it.