jeiting

I'm New Here
I'm heavily considering building an RV-7A. For logistic reasons, I will not be able to start for 12 months or so. I thought I would use this extra year to prepare as much as possible. My question:

Would it be a bad idea to order the preview plans this far ahead?

My concern is that the design could change in 12 months and my preview plans would not be accurate. Should I just go ahead and order them anyway?

I found a "used" but current set of preview plans for my RV-9 (six months before I purchased the tail kit) on VAF for $25 shipped. Post an ad in the classifieds.

Latest Plans

jeiting, Welcome to the forum.

According to Van's site, the preview plans are only updated once or twice a year anyway, so you would most likely have the "latest" version of the preview plans.

Also, don't forget that with each kit, comes the latest, greatest and full size drawings for that kit. That way you always have the most current info.

I approached the preview plans as an introduction to how the drawings and manual are laid out and a sneak peak of the design. I will be spending quality time with the full size drawings before starting any work.

Good Luck!

My -9 tail kit included the current E-size dwgs and portion of the binder plans/instructions, for that kit. I assume this is typical, i.e. you will get the current info with each kit you buy. So really zero risk in buying preview plans ahead. Plus the -7 is a mature design as previously noted.

This the typical way for Van's : each kit will come with its full size plan and the corresponding section of the build manual. I bought my preview plans in 2004 and started less than a year ago. No problems there.

Yes, yes, yes. Use the time to review all the drawings and instructions. You will have a much better picture of how things go together and what is coming up. It will help you avoid mistakes. You can also make notes from tips posted here that may not seem important now.