kcpilot81

So I have been reading this site for the past couple of months debating if I wanted to build an RV? Which was an easy decision. And then which RV to build? I have decided to go with the -8 and wanted the taildragger, mostly for looks. Now on to the next step. At the current time, I do not have the space to start this project, but I will be moving to a townhouse with a large two car garage and seperate smaller work room, good storage area. As would be expected, I am very anxious to get started on this project and having to wait until September to move into a place with a large enough work area is tough. Finally getting to the question, does it make any sense buying the preview plans now. I figure it gives me something to look at, other than obsesivly reading these forums and doing other crazy things like designing a panel for a plane that won't need one for several years. But I also worry that getting plans will make me even more anxious to start this project. So do I wait or do I place my first $55 of what I expect to be so much more cash?

Welcome!!!!!!

Keith, welcome to VAF. May the force be with you, as they say:rolleyes:

IMHO, order the preview plans------you can always re-sell them when you are done with them------I usually see them go for $40 or so, and they usually go quick-----I have missed a set or two already.

Good luck.

Feed the Beast!

Yes, order them now. While you're at it, order the the two practice kits as well. Who doesn't need another tool toolbox and the flap will make nice wall art to keep you dreaming.

Great time to be collecting tools...

Purchased

Well, based on the advise I ordered the plans. Thanks for all of the support. Now I can't wait for them to get here and just start reading away.

Unfortunately, the space issue prevents me from jumping into the full tool purchasing mode, and therefore the practice kits as well (no room for the air compressor and don't really feel like moving with it a the end of the summer).

DVDs and Tools

Keith,
I'd also suggest you keep an eye on the classified ads here for instructional DVDs and tools. The RV tool sets sold by Avery, Cleaveland, Isham, etc. take up a surprisingly small amount of space and you can save a lot of money by buying used (just get a 'name brand' tool set).

Waiting for the compressor makes sense, but you can get a lot of practice using a cordless drill and your deburring tools, dimpling sets, and hand squeezer without it.

Good luck,
Mike