Txflyer

Howdy. Newbie here.

I joined up because I'm pretty sure I want an RV-8 for fun and light aerobatics and some cross country for those trips when I'm alone. I hope it's not sacrilege around here to want to buy one and not build it. I would never complete one. My time is crazy, so I will ask for forgiveness in advance. :eek:

I own a Cessna 180G that I wouldn't sell for all the tea in China, so the RV is going to be mistress #2. I guess I don't really have any questions other than do y'all think a skywagon pilot can handle an 8? :D And hello everyone. :)

The RV-8 is exactly what you want. People with a wife and people who can't fly taildraggers will try to talk you out of it. Don't let them!:eek:

If you fly a 180, you'll be surprised how well an 8 handles on the ground.

It's a cross-country "magic carpet" and it handles gentlemans aerobatics with elan!:D

Buy what you want! Don't buy what someone else tells you to buy!:)

If you buy an RV instead of building we will mock you relentlessly. But only because we are jealous that you are flying and some of us are still working away.

Welcome to the community.

The RV-8 is exactly what you want. People with a wife and people who can't fly taildraggers will try to talk you out of it. Don't let them!:eek:

never understood this, why wouldn't you want your wife to sit behind you and be out of sight/out of mind

/singleguysperspective

Welcome to VAF!

Howdy. Newbie here.

I joined up because I'm pretty sure I want an RV-8------

Mark, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

One of my best friends has a 180 just like yours, same colors too.

You should be able to handle an 8 pretty easily after the Cessna.

Well I want a C-180, but you can't have my 8 yet.

I am certain that you will love it

good luck!!

8's are great

Sounds like you love your C-180 and you did not build that. What's the problem? You will love your new 8 and will be suprised at how often you fly it over the 180 on 2/3 rds the fuel and twice the fun.

Tandem

never understood this, why wouldn't you want your wife to sit behind you and be out of sight/out of mind

/singleguysperspective

99% do.:D. They just become "convinced" they want a side by side.:rolleyes:

Something to do with conejos or is it cajones.:cool: (Or both!)

Welcome, you're in the right place VAF !

I love this thread full of 8ers. :):)

Enjoy your search, taking a look to some builders websites you'll become a perfect 'virtual' builder.

here's mine www.rv8.it

I joined up because I'm pretty sure I want an RV-8 for fun and light aerobatics and some cross country for those trips when I'm alone.

You're a man with obvious good sense. However, you need not be lonely. Pleasant companionship is not a problem with an 8, assuming she doesn't weight more than 250 and insist on large suitcases.

I hope it's not sacrilege around here to want to buy one and not build it.

No problem...somebody needs to buy them eventually. We're all hoping our babies will last another 50 years, but know we probably won't.

I own a Cessna 180G that I wouldn't sell for all the tea in China, so the RV is going to be mistress #2. I guess I don't really have any questions other than do y'all think a skywagon pilot can handle an 8?

I think you're going to hear from another Texan named Jay. He will tell you a Skywagon driver can easily handle an 8, assuming said driver can live without a steering wheel and fly right-handed. However, this same character will try to convince you to custom-build the 8 of your dreams with his capable help, and if you do so at his place it will be done with minimal effort and only a small additional cost. All true of course ;)

If you're not too big...

Consider a -4. If you like the -8's handling, you'll drool over the -4, and they can be had for a lot less money. Only downsides are cockpit size (6' & 200+ is usually ok in front) & weight capacity, assuming that you're buying to 'play'.

Charlie
(flame suit on...) :)

Rv8

Don't even feel bad about "buying" one instead of building, I just made first flight in my 8A 4/20/13 after almost 8 years.
I would never do it again, the sad truth is you can buy a good one already flying CHEAPER than you can buy the kit and build one.....something wrong with that!
Your 180 looks great, I actually think if I had to do over again I would just buy a 1/2 interest in something more practical.
Best of luck !!!

Pick of the RV Litter

You are a wise man. You chose the best RV right up front. All the RV's are exceptional machines, but the 8 is the pick of the RV litter. 99% of us fly solo 90+ percent of the time, so why not fly a fighter like aircraft with the stick in your right hand, and the throttle in you left, and visibility that the side by sides can only dream about!

The great vis makes aerobatics even more enjoyable, and formation is a breeze.
I know two other pilots that have a Cessna 180 and chose the RV-8 as their other plane. Jay Pratt is one, and Charlie Kerns is the other.

Take your time finding a good one, and don't let a sharp paint job sell you. Beauty is more than skin deep.

Welcome to VAF.

TxFlyer, Its funny, I had my response all thought out but Danny beat me to the punch in his first paragraph!

I'll follow up with this. Wives. Mine loves riding in the back. IF yours likes photography, she is going to love the RV-8. Seriously, mine has bankrupted me on SD cards because she usually takes about 1000 photos from back there each time she goes with.

Room. Forget the RV-4 unless you friends are tiny, as in 150 pounds or smaller. It is truly a GREAT aircraft mind you, but todays Americans are fat bas***ds and pilots are no different. While you will spend 90% of your time solo, I can garantee once you have an RV-8, potential RV pilots will start begging for rides -- and the most demoralizing thing you can say to them is sorry mate, you are too fat for my CG range. With the RV-8, you won't ever have to say that. Ever. If they are too fat for an RV-8, they are pretty much too fat to fly in an experimental. I've had 230 pounders in the back, and with the right weight added up front, can take a 260 pounder for short hop before the fuel burn gets me too close to aft CG.

Then there is the sliding bubble canopy. Danny hinted at it. Nothing like feeling like you are in a P-51, and since most of us cannot afford that, the RV-8 is the next best thing. Its reasonably priced and sips 7 to 9 gph all day long. I love the RV-4 but having the windscreen nearly touching my nose is a bit disconcerting, although you get over it quickly. But the sliding canopy just beats it to death for style, and ROOM, not to mention emergency egress. Even taxiing is nicer. Open it four inches, or half way, it just feels great. Personally a tip up would drive me nuts. I hate that so many designers have resorted to it. I keep waiting to see one snap off in the wind when a pilot forgets to close it. Anyway, the RV-8 has a ton of room inside. I have friends with RV-4s and to a man they complain about head room with a headset on. Forget a helmet, if you like em, cause thats even worse.

Transition will be a snap for you. As tail draggers go, the RV-8 is a no brainer. Its easier to handle, directionally wise, than most commerically built TDs from the 1930s and 40s. In fact it may even annoy you some because its rudder is about "useless". By that I mean the aircraft is so well balanced that you really do not need to use rudder all that much for normal flight, and will find yourself over controlling rudder for a while. You could fly it with your feet on the floor and do most turns without the ball leaving center. Personally I find that boring, but its outstanding for most pilots with low time in Tail Draggers. Happily, when you do stomp on the rudder, its there for you in droves.

Finally, in a case of "the grass is always greener", I SERIOUSLY want to fly your C-180!!! LOL. All my adult life I wanted an RV-8 or a C-180. Two of the most versatile aircraft a working man can buy. But even now, with lots of time in the -8, I still look at antique/classics with a sense of longing. The only thing I do not miss about my former classic was the polishing! At any rate, there is irony for you. You own my other dream plane!

Last edited:
buy or build?

Oh yeah...BUY. Never ever let anyone make you feel guilding for not wanting to build.
In todays market especially, you can buy and outstandingly well built RV-8 for less than it would cost to build. That may change if the economy gets better. But for now you can get a well equipped RV-8 for less than it would cost to build.

Figure if you built an RV-8 with a traditional analog panel, you might be into it for about $80,000 if you are careful and do not get silly with the gadgets. Guys building now days all go hog wild on the digital high tech panels and that can get insanely expensive, driving prices to well over $120,000. Every new builder faces this. Most get sucked into the nextgen hoolaballoo and turn their sport plane into a fully equipped airliner whose panel costs more than the engine! Yet a quick browse of the classifieds will find RV-8s all over the map from $70K to $120,000. MEANING, you can get one, turn key and well proven, for the same money, OR LESS, than you can build one right now.

So, at least for the time being, the smart money is to buy one. Eventually the economy will turn again and building will be the cheaper route as used prices inflate. But for right now, man, its either a wash, price wise, or a STEAL to buy.

My wife loves sitting in the back of the -8, and actually prefers it to the side by side configuration. Consequently, I fly the RV 75% of the time with both seats occupied. The -8 is a great airplane, but you might take a look at the Rocket as well. They are dropping in price like crazy, and they are almost down to -8 level. They have more room in front, much more speed and climb, and will give you better MPG going x country ([email protected] vs 200@10GPH). I live on long cross country flights so my mission may differ from yours, but I've been flying the -8 for a few years now and am just about ready to pull the trigger on a Rocket. Something to consider.

The -8 is a great airplane, but you might take a look at the Rocket as well.
They are dropping in price like crazy, and they are almost down to -8 level.

They have more room in front, much more speed and climb, and will give you better MPG going x country ([email protected] vs 200@10GPH).

I live on long cross country flights so my mission may differ from yours, but I've been flying the -8 for a few years now and am just about ready to pull the trigger on a Rocket. Something to consider.

All true statements. The Rockets are great airplanes and prices are falling. The only drawback I could find to buying a Rocket was insuring it. I'm high time, high tailwheel time and I was quoted $4,300 a year for the same coverage I have on my 8. I pay LESS than half that to fully insure my 8 for airshows with formation acro.

At todays prices a couple grand saved in insurance is about 400 gallons of fuel, or 45 to 50 hours. The Rocket's not that fast.

As has been stated in previous posts, you'll love your 8.

Insurance is a problem, for sure... But it is not a requirement. I fly on liability only and I don't plan on any different with the new Rocket. Liability only does not have much variation from airframe to airframe as long as they're in the same general class.

And to the OP - yes, if you can handle a 180, then ANY RV will be easy. I have a harder time flying the C-170 than the RV. With the high control deflection and slow response, the Cessna is like a dump truck compared to a sports car...

Last edited:
...I have a harder time flying the C-170 than the RV. ...

I'm certainly looking forward to being able to "+1" that statement! I have about an hour's worth of dual in an RV-6, including a couple of landings, but that's not enough to make a comparison...

Once you get used to flying using only pressure on the controls, you may consider the wild control movement and glacial response time of the 170 downright dangerous!

Build ver Buy

The thing with aircraft is that we don't really own them . We just pay lots of $$$'s for the privilege of taking care of them for a while. If you build one you are part of the birthing process .

Wow, that pic of the 180 brings back old memories for me, love flying the 180 and 185. The 185 can be a beast on the ground, will keep you on your toes but always brings a smile

Bird

You bet your sweet bibby.

You are in the right place with girls like this in your life. How dose that old line go? Hers to wifes and sweetharts, may the two never meat.
You will like the 8 for the FUN and good ride it gives you no matter how you come buy one. You are most wellcome here.
Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Sky Wagon!

I fly a 1976 C180J. Great airplane. I also fly a RV8. You will not have any trouble learning the 8.
I hope you find a good one. Please take Danny's advice and look past the paint job. Get someone to help you. And get a good pre by.

Wow. I need to check back here more often.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, and the compliments on my plane. I've about done everything but the kitchen sink on the 180, and now I'm ready for that 8!

Guess what? I just took a ride in an 8 today. A guy flew one over that is for sale, and we went up. I must say, I loved it! :) I had to ride in the back seat because his did not have rudder pegs in the back, but that didn't matter. I got to fly it and I power off stalled it, and it did not drop a wing. It was hard to stall.

I yanked it left and right and did some rolls. What a difference from the 180. I've always loved a stick with throttle in left hand. I trained tailwheel in a Citabria, so the stick just felt natural. He didn't let me land it, but I think it would have been easy. I can't wait to get one.

Ya'll help me find one. I don't have to have airliner EFIS or Synthetic Yuppie Vision, I just need a VFR country crosser with an autopilot would be nice. And the biggest MF'n motor I can get. MORE POWER! The more the better! :D

march80x001op.png

Last edited:
You're a man with obvious good sense. However, you need not be lonely. Pleasant companionship is not a problem with an 8, assuming she doesn't weight more than 250 and insist on large suitcases.

No problem...somebody needs to buy them eventually. We're all hoping our babies will last another 50 years, but know we probably won't.

I think you're going to hear from another Texan named Jay. He will tell you a Skywagon driver can easily handle an 8, assuming said driver can live without a steering wheel and fly right-handed. However, this same character will try to convince you to custom-build the 8 of your dreams with his capable help, and if you do so at his place it will be done with minimal effort and only a small additional cost. All true of course ;)

I could go for that.:) If we could find one that's almost complete, we could build a real barnstormer. (Or I should say he could build it.):eek:

There's one for sale that's 90% complete but I've never heard of this engine. A TMXIO 360? It won't even Google up for me. I know what an IO-360 is, but not a TMX IO? This one has an MT prop too.

I like my MT prop on the 180. I think they're great. Mine shaved 10 pounds right off the nose. I could notice the better CG landing difference on my skywagon instantly. And since the MT is lighter, when you throttle off, it spins down faster and acts like you dropped anchor on the 180 which is good. But I'm sidetracking now .... :eek:

here's that RV-8 for sale that's 90% ready ....

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1650819.html

Last edited: