pmnewlon

Well Known Member
Getting close to using this 'push to start' button! I sure like how a nicely finished solder connection looks.

14wan8j.jpg

...I sure like how a nicely finished solder connection looks.
Only one problem, solder connections vibrate and crack. That's why it is best to use a crimp on connectors and push those on your starter button. Or, in my case, a ring terminal, and screw it to the starter button.

PS. Use an aviation crimper that does a double crimp. Then you can put shrink tubing over it.

Only one problem, solder connections vibrate and crack. That's why it is best to use a crimp on connectors and push those on your starter button. Or, in my case, a ring terminal, and screw it to the starter button.

PS. Use an aviation crimper that does a double crimp. Then you can put shrink tubing over it.

This particular type button (sold by B/C and I think Stein sells the same one) requires a soldered connection. I agree that PIDG connectors or ring terminals would be preferable ...... I am also using red shrink tube for + connections and black for -. I goofed the orientation of one of the labels in the pic but at $0.50/inch for that yellow shrink tube, I thought I could live with it.

2mq4ui8.jpg

akcrx5.jpg

Link to switch on B/C website

S895.jpg

Wire Label

pmnewlon
Can you tell me what kind of wire label maker you are using for the yellow shrink sleeves? Tks.

RVNineA
Any metal is susceptible to fatigue cracking, including solder joints. The older PCB board technology used through holes and the component leads were soldered in the holes (usually with a wave solder machine). Newer surface mount technology uses a solder paste applied to the board, the board is populated with components, then the board is heated so the solder paste melts. Two things will fatigue crack solder joints - vibration (potentially an issue with the push to start switch) and/or thermal cycling (potentially an issue with through hole or surface mount boards).

That modern avionics (and electronics) are as reliable as they are is a testament to the packaging technology, but the potential for fatigue cracking still exists.

What about all the soldered connections in the electronics, how do they prevent them from cracking?

John

Actually I have seen cracked solder joints in electronics, so it happens there too.

When wires are soldered there is a stress point right where the solder stops, if you have an unsupported vibrating wire the joint can break off at that location.