szicree

Well Known Member
I'm trying to follow advice of other posters on testing my hoses by using a grease gun, water, and pressure gauge, but have found that there is really nothing to hold the pressure from bleeding back in to the grease gun. Does anyone know of a simple one-way valve that could be used for this? Any other ideas to make it work? I realize I could have a hydraulic shop do it, but it would be mucho convenient to be able to get it done right here, right now.

I'm trying to follow advice of other posters on testing my hoses by using a grease gun, water, and pressure gauge, but have found that there is really nothing to hold the pressure from bleeding back in to the grease gun. Does anyone know of a simple one-way valve that could be used for this? Any other ideas to make it work? I realize I could have a hydraulic shop do it, but it would be mucho convenient to be able to get it done right here, right now.

Steve,
Are you using a grease fitting? (zerk) (Alemite)
They have a check ball and usually hold pressure well.
That's how I did it.

Mark

Steve,
I just saw your other post where you said you are using a grease fitting.
But it sounds like you are trying to pump water.
Fill the hose contraption with water but use the grease gun like normal. (with grease).
Have you tried that?
Mark

I considered grease, but I know that some of it would likely get into the hose requiring cleaning. Seems like a mess.

Last edited:
Steve, hose pressure testing equipment as used in the aviation industry uses oil (at least all the equipment I've seen uses oil). I've heard of Experimental builders using air.....SUPER dangerous!!!

Incidentally, the system needs to be able to hold pressure. Thirty seconds and you're good to go. If the system will not hold pressure then it is useless as you do not know if the loss of pressure is being caused by the end fitting gradually slipping out. A hose pressure test is not about "looking" for oil leaks....it's about checking for pressure loss.

Last edited:
Bob,

I agree that I need it to hold pressure, not simply reach it. I've now spent most of day two jerking around with various combinations of fittings, grease guns, grease, water, oil, etc., and was 100% unsuccesful at getting it to stop bleeding back into the pump or leaking at one of the umpteen fittings cobbled together. I also found that if you pump grease into a water filled tube, the thicker grease moves forward through the thinner water and the water ends up around the sides. Having to clean grease out of all my hoses is not my idea of fun and luckily I realized this after the first one. I am sorry, but I have to declare this method to be mickey mouse at best. I can definitely pump it up to 2000 lbs, but I want to see it hold pressure for at least a count of ten. Surprisingly, I remembered today that I work for a college with an A/P program, so I guess I'll pay them a visit and have them show me the proper method.

:mad: