AAflyer

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience in prepping the interior of their QB fuselage that comes with Van's spray-on corrosion protection? I'm hoping to make my job as simple as possible by using latex; I've seen several websites that talk about using latex, but most are for covering fabric, and none speak specifically of preparing aluminum surfaces with the 'gunk' on them.
Maybe a little ScotchBrite and a wipe down with acetone?:confused:
What about the rattlecan self-etching aluminum primers? Do they need bare aluminum, or could they work on top of scratched up corrosion protection?
FYI, I WILL NOT be constructing a paint booth, nor will I be shopping for spray guns and pressure-breathing apparatus.
I know some of you have used Rustoleum…how was THAT prepped?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

Are you talking about the oily residue that is on the outside of the fuselage, or the etch primer on the inside?
My 2008 QB had an oily substance on the outside (Which I haven't yet removed, but will before painting), but the interior was free of this residue and had the Van's etch primer, which has a patchy, almost transparent look.
I gave my interior a quick wipe down with acetone, which left the Van's primer intact, and sprayed 2k primer over the top. It stuck very well to the Van's primer, and I won't be using a topcoat. I hope this helps!

Hugh

Thanks, Hugh. Yes, I was talking about the inside. I was hoping that I don't have to scrub and scratch. After looking at my fuse again today, I realized that the area I need to paint is actually quite small…and I might end up covering some of the sidwalls with fabric anyway. As I'm about to start wiring, I was concerned that I would be getting too much "stuff" installed before painting…but after further review, I'm not too concerned anymore, as most of the wiring will be below decks; an area I won't be painting. This weekend might be the last time I'll see temps in the 50's, so I felt a little pressured. Today I found a grey Krylon primer/paint at Walmart that I will try on my baggage compartment.

Last edited:
Nice. Yeah you'll have no problems spraying over the factory primer, just wipe the dust off first! I 2k primed my whole fuselage interior, but I live near the coast. I was seeing light corrosion coming through the factory primer after about two years with the fuselage sitting in my garage. Good luck!