jlfernan

Well Known Member
I'm going to be assisting a neighbor in getting her late husband's RV-12 for sale and have a few questions. The aircraft only has 24.5 hours on the hobbs and has been sitting for about seven months. The only fuel used in it is mogas. I know the fuel needs to be drained and fresh fuel put in. I fired up the Skyview and got a message about the xnpdr "battery failed or missing". He also has one of the early kits. Running on the Facet pump alone, fuel pressure was indicating around 25 PSI. I know the new fuel transducer from Kavlico is what is now being used. I did not build the airplane but am assuming that going through the build manual I can figure out how to replace the transducer. I know he did not do the SB's for the lower skins on the wings or for the mixer brackets but with the low time I'm sure these are not yet an issue. I also need to find an A&P for the condition inspection. Any other suggestions as to what to do or look for would be greatly appreciated.

In an attempt to save the carbs from needing to be rebuilt, I would drain all mogas ( ethanol) out of it, put some 100LL in and run it until you get the avgas through the carbs.

Sounds like you have a good start. I and many others refer to non-ethanol auto fuel as MOGAS, which has a longer shelf life than the ethanol poisoned stuff but I agree, 7 months is too old.

The oil will also need changed after that period of time. Tires will need serviced too.