bpalamara

I'm New Here
Getting ready to place my order for the quickbuild wings and fuselage. Any feedback on Van's landing lights, fuel float sensors and flap positioning systems? Doesn't seem like much when you are writhing the big check.

Also due to my distance from the factory (NJ) I can save about 500-600 on the freight if I ship the finishing kit at the same time. Any ideas on how many hours there will be on the Quick Build before this is needed.

Thanks for the assistance.

Bob Palamara

Now that I have some replies, I guess the next question would be should I order the firewall forward kit as well.

Thanks for the replies

Bob

Last edited:
QB order

Bob,

We received our QB kit just about a year ago. We have worked pretty hard and have over 500 hours in it at this time. We had the finish kit delivered with the QB to save the $$ but are not even close to needing it at this time.

You came to the right place

Hi Bob,
I found that I needed (wanted) 'finish' kit parts almost immediately. It all comes down to what you want to work on and how soon you want the plane up on the gear etc. That said I ordered the finish kit and was very glad I did...plus, as you mention it WILL save you some money.

Also, yes....get the other (smaller) items you mentioned.....those shipping bills DO add up. Total shipping for my finished and flying RV10 was just shy of $4000 to Ohio (just checked my spreadsheet). This included everything from the emp kit to the prop and engine, plus all those little orders to ACS, Vans, etc.

Let me also say that Doug's forums is (IMHO) THEE BEST place to get answers to your RV10 questions. You won't get 'slammed' for asking a question or providing an answer here. Doug does his best to keep things friendly and civil with a 'G' rating. You came to the right place....no, I don't work for Doug :) .

I have a flying 10 and am origionally from NJ....still fly there when time permits. Next time I'm there we'll try to hook up for a ride :D .

Good Luck with your project.

QB order

Bob has a good point.
After giving it some thought, I have been glad to have access to the finish kit and saving the $$ really caps the deal for me. I would not do it differently the next time.
The shipping charges are, indeed, adding up. I have learned to be very careful about picking up the phone and calling Van's for parts order. Once I called and ordered a part I had mangled and realized just 5 minutes after hanging up that I needed the fittings that go into the part. I called back, immediately, but it was too late to include them in the order that I had called in just a few minutes earlier!! The lady said she would try to go upstairs and chase down my first order, but could make no promises. Sure enough, two orders, 5 to 10 minutes apart, and they were shipped separately. Lesson learned.

In addition to what has been said above, think about the "total package" as you are working on each sub assembly----------as a example, the plans have you finishing the rear floorboard areas way before you get to the electrical work.

Pretty soon, you figure out that it would be nice to have some conduits under the floorboards.

You get the idea.

Vans tends to ship out packages dedicated to a "system", I.E., tail feathers or firewall forward, which is fine, however You do need to plan in advance for the inclusion of each system, and its various parts.

IMHO, having the various sub packages at hand would simplify this process, as well as save on the shipping costs.

I would estimate that for every hour I spend actually working, I spend an hour or two planning how/what/why/where. Perhaps I am a bit anal, but I hate re-doing something because I have rushed ahead without properly thinking things through.

Mike