CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I'm finishing up my RV10 and thinking towards the day I will be ready for my DAR inspection. I know they will want to look into inspection panels, but what needs to be removed for inspection? I'm wondering about the panels inside the fuselage that are attached with screws but don't obscure anything significant behind them - like the belly panels on other wise of the RV10 above the seat pan and under the door jam? Will they need to be removed? I'm curious as they are a pain to get in and can imagine scratching the paint easily. If so, I'm considering leaving them out until after the inspection. But it they wont need to be removed for the DAR, then I know I can leave those sorts of panels in.

Talk with the DAR. He should tell you exactly what condition he wants the airplane. Be organized, have all the Ts crossed and Is dotted. This shows him you pay attention to detail. You need pictures to prove to him and him alone that you built the aircraft. Ideally, this inspection should be like a check ride, a learning experience.

Charlie..open up the "essentials"... Wing attach covers on the wings, top and bottom cowls, prop spinner, baggage area bulkhead, so he can look at the pushrods, etc. tail fairing so that he can inspect stabilizer and rudder attach bolts and possibly aileron bellcrank covers.

Good luck,

I agree with those who suggest contacting the inspector and finding out exactly what they want to see. Every inspector, whether a DAR or and FAA ASI, have slightly different approaches to how to conduct an airworthiness inspection, so knowing what your particular inspector is going to want or need will go a long way toward making your experince painless. A little bit of preparation goes a long way!

All posts so far are accurate. Each inspector has slightly different requirements. Typically FAA inspectors are more interested in paperwork. Most DARs like to delve into things a little more.
As an example, I want the aircraft opened up as if you were doing an annual condition inspection. I want to see all control and fuel hook-ups. Out of 700 aircraft I have done 3 that I couldn't find a discrepancy.

Thanks "Mark" for asking the question;
And all you guys for the answers.
I'm also very close to the Airworthiness Inspection for my RV-8.
I guess we are reluctant to 'get inspected'. After all that work, someone comes along and tells us how we did it wrong or the hard way, or it needs more work...
And the fear that it won't pass and might need follow up inspection?

Last edited:
I figured it varied with each inspector. Since I am a few months away still I haven't selected an inspector but given what Bruce said perhaps I should start looking at what available options are and begin planning for that.

Inspection

Had the FAA do my inspection this past summer. On that day, two FAA inspectors (and their manager)arrived with inspection mirrors, flashlights, with the intent to do a complete mechanical inspection. I was warned not to expect a sign off on the first visit. They initially had some 'design issues' with the Vans (per plans) rudder stops and manual trim tab wiggle. On the second visit, all was OK! Overall, they performed a very thorough inspection which I appreciated. Best of all, it was FREE.

Jim Diehl #71976
7A
Lock Haven, Pa.

Yup

My experience was really good, but it could have been really bad. I started looking into DAR vs FSDO for my area and saw a recent horror story from an area RV builder with the FSDO. Then two guys in my group of hangars had excellent experiences with a different FAA inspector from the same FSDO - this guy had done over 50 EAB planes. This inspector even invited other builders to come witness his inspections to get familiar with what he wanted in preparation for their own. It is true that his inspection wasn't probably as detailed as I expected - I pulled most inspection covers and the cowl but did not not open the tunnel or the empennage fairing. However, I had 2-3 experienced builders check my work before the inspection so I wasn't very concerned about that part of it. Overall, it took about two hours: one hour of inspection and one hour of paperwork and discussion.

I couldn't have been happier; however, my buddy two hours away had a horrible experience with a different inspector from the same FSDO. Do your research, talk to the inspector, give him what he wants.