AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I have my first inspection this month and was hoping I could remove some things before I fly to the AP. The two things I am wondering about are the rear bulkhead that covers the opening of the aft fuselage (not sure if this is a structural part), and the wheel pants. I've seen planes flying with gear legs but no pants, so I'm sure it can be done. Is there anything else that needs to be removed, the pants mounting plate for example? I presume it would be a good idea to remove the lower fairing between the pants and the gear leg fairing too.

Anything else I can do to get a head start and allow me to do some of the disassembly and reassembly in my own hangar? Maybe even remove the passenger seat?

Thanks. Andy

OK to remove the wheel pants. You may remove the passenger seat, although I'm not sure that would be a big help. It only takes a few seconds to remove.

Do NOT fly with the baggage bulkhead removed. It IS structural!

Oh, good advice. I would have guessed the bulkhead was not structural. If I am not mistaken, I test flew an RV I was interested in that did not have the cover in place. It was a while ago though so my memory was younger then.

You are correct on the seat. I as more thinking that I could leave it safe in my hangar.

Oh, good advice. I would have guessed the bulkhead was not structural. If I am not mistaken, I test flew an RV I was interested in that did not have the cover in place. It was a while ago though so my memory was younger then.
You are correct on the seat. I as more thinking that I could leave it safe in my hangar.

The baggage bulkhead is structural for "torsional" strength.