Geico266

Well Known Member
What do you guys use to clean up the edges of the "plexiglass"? Sandpaper?

Any tips on installing the window so you don't mar it or the painted roll bar up?

Any tips or ideas greatly appreciated.

be sure to drill out the plastic holes with a sharp plastic drill. cleco the top two on the roll bar first, then the back two...then work your way down the side of the turtle deck and the rollbar at the same time. I tried it half a dozen ways before this to get the holes to match up. this seemed to do it. also helps to have someone to hold the plastic under the turtle deck while you cleco.

Mine was pretty rough. I smoothed it out on the belt sander then took 320 grit and rounded it off a little. The aft edge is under the skin, but the forward is out there forever. I want it smooth.

Pete, Is your rear window equal on the roll bar? Mine seems to be about 1/8" off from side to side.

I'm gonna wait and install it later. It is nice to have it out of the way for finish kit stuff.

Last edited:
Use a scraper

Cut marks from the wheel are best removed with a scraper. Avery sells a dandy tool for this purpose. Alternately, a woodworking scraper can be used if you need one right away - ususally found in high quality woodworking tool store if you have one in your area. I've never looked for one in the orange box store but it's not likely they stock these.

Obviously with caution and a bit more care required when using is a simple single edged razor blade but BE CAREFUL! This is best done with the blade mounted in a holder of some kind.

Regardless of which approach you take, you'll have a VERY smooth edge with just a few strokes. If using a straight scraping tool, you'll need to dress the corners with 400 grit - wet progressing to 600, 1000 and whatever you have the patience for. The Avery tool provides a radiused edge which you would probably find the most acceptable, still requiring final finishing with the wet 400, 600.... Final polish with some white rubbing compound if you want a clear, smooth edge.

All this takes less time than it took to write about it.

Best of Luck

Carl Raichle
RV-9A, N194CR
Weight and Balance tomorrow - Inspection soon!

mine goes right up the middle of the roll bar...equal both sides.

Hmmmmm. I better call Vans and ask the crew if I should adjust the rear window or wait until I fit the canopy. Any thoughts?

It would be real easy to adjust (remove material) now while it is off the plane.

Cut marks from the wheel are best removed with a scraper. Avery sells a dandy tool for this purpose. Alternately, a woodworking scraper can be used if you need one right away - ususally found in high quality woodworking tool store if you have one in your area. I've never looked for one in the orange box store but it's not likely they stock these.

Obviously with caution and a bit more care required when using is a simple single edged razor blade but BE CAREFUL! This is best done with the blade mounted in a holder of some kind.

Regardless of which approach you take, you'll have a VERY smooth edge with just a few strokes. If using a straight scraping tool, you'll need to dress the corners with 400 grit - wet progressing to 600, 1000 and whatever you have the patience for. The Avery tool provides a radiused edge which you would probably find the most acceptable, still requiring final finishing with the wet 400, 600.... Final polish with some white rubbing compound if you want a clear, smooth edge.

All this takes less time than it took to write about it.

Best of Luck

Carl Raichle
RV-9A, N194CR
Weight and Balance tomorrow - Inspection soon!

Great tips Carl, thanks. Looks like I'll have a date with the rear window and make it purdy. ;)

My 2 cents

I think I will wait to see what the canope looks like. Maybe it will require some trimming also - OR NOT. I'll wait to trim. May have to match the 2.

John Bender