Greenley

Well Known Member
Don't laugh, I was just listening to the deltahawk podcast on avweb. I am currently building my rv-10 fuel tanks and wondering what mods might be appropriate to keep the deltahawk option open if a miracle happens and it really comes to market. It looks like a fuel return line is needed and an active vent. I have some ideas on prep for the first but no ideas on the vent. Any thoughts/suggestions for either appreciated.
Bill Greenley

Don't know much about the Delta Hawk Diesel but always read about it with great interest.
Making a provision for a return line is a good idea no matter what you are planning at this point. You'll have many more fuel system options with a return line.
I used a fuel drain flange on the inboard tank rib for my fuel return line.
I am not sure why the vent system would need changing.
On a lighter note, you might want to add a little compartment to save extra cash for that Delta Hawk.:D

I had a Velocity prior to the RV and the delta hawk was a favorite among many builders. Unfortunately some waited for MANY years. Cool concept but don't hold your breath.

Fuel filler cab

You will need a 3" fuel filler cab since the jet nozzle is bigger then the avgas nozzle

I was looking into that too for my -8, if they just would not be so pricy.

By the time the Delta Hawk is available for production the Back to the Future flux capacitor will be ready for public use also, so make sure you can store banana peels and coffee grounds for in flight refueling. ;)

Last edited:
Delta

You could also wait for the Mistral, or that cool V6 that Bombardier was going to produce.

Rumor has it they put all their eggs into one basket going after the military drone market rather than experimental. The military was not interested because it was not flying, it was not flying because the military was not interested. The old catch 22 syndrome.

I know the eternal promise of something new. I was just thinking, would it make any sense not to attach the rear tank baffle, but stop short of that step and finish the tanks nearer the end. That way they are easy to modify if needed. Would that create problems?
Bill Greenley

I would dearly love to have a turbodiesel in my 9A, but there just aren't any available on the market at this time (with full horsepower, which excludes the WAM). I did build my fuel system to take advantage of one later if they become a reality in the future. I put a full-flow return line in the tanks that passes through the first two tank ribs and empties into the 3rd bay of the tank, to minimize the amount of foaming that might reach the pickup screen. As opening up the 2" fuel filler to a 3" for Jet-A, I'll just have to open up the baffle and redo it, that will be a minor issue compared to re-engining a flying aircraft.

Loose props?

An old ex WW II Corsair pilot/flight instructor mentioned to me once that diesels "pound" so hard on each power stroke, that props are easily loosened because of the 20:1 compressions, or higher.

Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Thanks,

I have heard this is a difference between two stroke diesels (less pounding) and four stroke (more). The deltahawk is two stroke. Not up on my engine theory, does this make any sense?
Bill