jlfernan

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to order my QB wings and am struggling with what is the best method for cutting the holes in the LE for landing lights?

I second that!

After using the abrasive disk, I switched to the carbide side cutter and finished it off with the drum sander.

Would do it al over again the same way!

:) CJ

Agree with above, except that I'd add to CJ's that I, of course, followed up then dremel drum sander with hand sandpaper, emery paper, and then scotchbrite pad. Turned out great, and the cutouts are actually pretty square, believe it or not!

Get as close as you dare to the final line in your initial dremel cutting disk cut. That will save you a lot of time with the drum sander. Just need to keep a steady hand though. As usual with repetitive tasks, first side took about 3 hours, the second took about 30 minutes and created a lot less anxiety. Good luck.

Dremel Cutting Disks

I find this to be the best Dremel cutting wheel. The 2 inch diameter makes it much easier to keep square to the work and follow lines easier. It also gives a faster cutting speed.

It's not a Dremel product, but comes from House of Balsa.. most hobby stores should have it...

House of Balsa Cutting disk

It's far better than the puny 1 inch disks Dremel sells....
It's also great at cutting steel parts.... :)

gil in Tucson

I'll second the HOB Tuff Grind disks, I've used them for years and never had one break or shatter. I've worn them all out. They are reinforced with a weave and worth every penny. Plus you get to make a trip to the hobby shop and see how inexpensive R/C airplanes are now :rolleyes: that your building an RV!! :D

Rick S.
RV-10
Fuselage

To get all the radii the same find a cylinder that's about the right radius and use spray mount to attach sandpaper to it. It makes getting all the corners the same very easy.

Any you probably have a great selection of cylinders for finishing purposes in your toolbox full of sockets.

Another Method

I used a fiber cut off wheel on the dremel also, but I didn't cut very close to the final line. Once the hole was (very) rough cut, I used my snips to get close to the line, then used drum sanders and files to get the rest of the way. I felt that creeping up on the final cut line with these different tools gave me the most control.

Rick S. said:
Plus you get to make a trip to the hobby shop and see how inexpensive R/C airplanes are now :rolleyes: that your building an RV!! :D

Rick S.
RV-10
Fuselage

The HOB stuff is excellent. Great Planes has the same product if your LHS doesn't have the House of Balsa ones.

Regarding the RC stuff, I have a giant scale aerobatic plane nearly $6k invested!!! The small electric stuff is dirt cheap and lots of fun!!

I didn't have any cutting discs when I did my landing lights. I drilled fairly large diameter holes near the corners and then used a nibbler to sneak up on the lines. Finished with a file. Worked very well but was pretty slow.

Karl

I used a Body Saw from Northern Tool for those holes.

There are a million and one places I have used that thing and very few places I have used the Dremel. Too easy for the Dremel to get away from you. IMHO

Just like making the canopy cut, we all sweat cutting the wing holes. Neither is really much of a big deal, after you've done it once. The biggest obstacle you've got, is between your ears. You're justifiably nervous about making a mistake, so prepare yourself mentally, beforehand. Lay the work out the night before the cut. sleep on it, and review the process in your mind beforehand. Take a few minutes before making the cut to read the instructions again, even if you've read them twenty times. Don't make any cuts when you're tired, and don't be afraid to stop and regroup.

The work will wait for you. You can do this!

A suggestion before cutting is if you have a paper template, make a clear viewgraph copy then use some contact cement to attach the template to the wing. Then, grit your teeth, wince a little and cut your wing(s) up! ;) Rosie

Radius corners

I always use a step drill to create a properly radiused corner before cutting the sheet metal with my dremel, and then sand with the drum sanders.

Light cut out

Had good luck with multiple unibit holes - just gradually enlarge until close to contour. Finished with nibbler and drum sanders in drill. Worked great and looks like a CAM cut. Pretty quick, too. Seems there are many ways to skin the cat. Yours will work out fine. Bill