mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

As I have one of the first pre-punch fuselage kits, this question may only be answerable by Van's. I have emailed them, but it is the holidays so I may not hear soon. Either way, I will post their reply.

On the firewall, under the middle of the motor mount weldments, there is a 1/4" hole. This hole is also in the weldments. There are aluminum spacers underneath that do not have this hole and the instructions do not say anything about drilling it out. Does anyone know if this should be drilled out and what, if anything, goes through the hole? I suspect this may be where the dynafocal engine mount connects. As usual, I am always reluctant to make holes in places that may or may not need them.

Thanks

Michael Wynn
RV 8 (Pre-punch) Fuselage
San Ramon, CA

I am assuming you are building the firewall and not mounting the engine. If so, you can put off drilling those holes until mounting the engine mount. Or at least until you mount the firewall in the jig, if you are using a jig.

I would imagine the instructions would address mounting the firewall to the jig, read ahead in the manual a few pages beyond where you are now.

Are you sure you don't mean 3/16 " holes? If so, they are holes that will later be enlarged to 3/8 " for the bolts that attach the engine mount.
Since you will not be mounting the firewall in a jig (P.P. fuse. does not use one), you do not need to do anything with these holes until you are attaching the engine mount.