Dorfie

Well Known Member
Is there a way that I can pre-oil/pressurize the oil channels in my engine (IO 540) without turning the engine over with starter (without spark plugs)?
The engine has not run for a long time and I assume the oil that could drain has drained.
I was thinking that I can add oil to the sump and manually "roll" the engine in all directions to splash oil all over the inside. That will get some oil on the cam lobes and lifters and accessory case gears etc, but none to bearings or bushings.
Thanks.
Johan

Turning the engine to prime the oiling system will not hurt the engine. This is not the same as actually starting an engine that has not had the oil system primed.

I would remove all of the plug wires and a plug from each cylinder then turn the propeller in the correct direction of rotation for a while untill you see the oil pressure indication starts to move off of zero, then reassemble and run the engine.

Unfortunately spinning the engine to "pre-oil" does nothing for the cam/lifter contact. These contact points are the weakest lubrication part of the Lycoming system. Cam lobes are oiled only by "splash", and this occurs only when the engine is running.

you can pre-warm the engine with a good engine heater, i use one year round, thin warm oil flows better and spreads quicker

Even a pre-oiler pump will not lube the cam lobes unless the engine had oil spray nozzles installed by a custom engine shop at overhaul.

I pulled a plug from one of the top galleries on mine (O-360) and connected a line from there to a PVC pipe fitted with a schrader valve on the cap. I poured some oil into the pipe, capped it, aired it up to 40 psi and opened the ball valve in the line slowly. It pumped the quart or so of oil all through the top end of the engine.

Sounds like a cool idea but you only pre-oiled half of the lifters, and even then may have forced air into them.

Is there a way that I can pre-oil/pressurize the oil channels in my engine (IO 540) without turning the engine over with starter (without spark plugs)?
The engine has not run for a long time and I assume the oil that could drain has drained.
I was thinking that I can add oil to the sump and manually "roll" the engine in all directions to splash oil all over the inside. That will get some oil on the cam lobes and lifters and accessory case gears etc, but none to bearings or bushings.
Thanks.
Johan

You can pre-lub the engine by locating an entry point in you oil gallery then using a homemade pressurizer of 3 " schedule 40 pvc pressurized to 30 psi.

Having said that, if your prop has not been off, oil cooler, and oil filter, then just turning the prop will bring up the pressure pretty quickly. It may take 10-15 blades to do this as suggested above.

The only thing you are really going to do is lube the bearings, though. Not bores, cams etc. The pressure will come up very fast on start anyway if all the oil cavities are filled. Even the jets with room oil temps will not "spray" like you expect.

For new engine installs - like mine - I will definitely pressure pre lube. Empty cooler, prop and more demands it. at least IMO.

If you make a pre-lube container from PVS, just make sure it is very very clean or more damage than prevention can occur.

Sorry about that. I struggle with this every time I try to do a photo here.
I think I fixed it now.
As to the effectiveness of doing it, I have no way of knowing what got oiled and what didn't, but I did show oil pressure on the gauge, so it did something.

Pre oil

What Mel said, won't help where it's needed, the only way to oil those parts short of running it or disassembly is to flip it upside down.
I have the Nye nozzle mod, they shoot oil horizontally across to the cam. I don't believe 20-30 pounds of cold oil injected thru a -4 hose would generate the pressure at the nozzle needed to reach the cam.
The parts that will get oil from a "Pig" probably don't need it anyway, if the system has not been opened, the galleys will hold oil for almost ever. Ive taken engines apart that have not been run in years and had oil running out of the galleys.
If your concerned pull the plugs and oil pressure tap, turn it over by hand normal rotation and I think you will see oil flow out of the galley in a turn or two so long as the system has not been opened.
There is also a chance you'll force dirt, pipe sealant or pipe thread cuttings or who knows what deep into the filtered side of the system.
Not saying there isn't a place for "pigging" the engine, just make sure it's needed and everything is surgically clean.
Tim